New Girl Rescue Piggies With My Boys- How Do I Separate Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Davis

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am getting 2 female rescue piggies soon and i already have three boys. None of them are neutered so i cant put the girls in with them so i am separating their current cage. It is a huge custom built house that is around 200cm x 150cm. I thought that maybe i could just put a some c and c cage grids, about 2 high, to separate the cage but i dont think it would be too secure. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? I dont have the option to neuter the boys due to financial reasons and it is quite a dangerous operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Also, any recommendations on introducing them (obviously not in direct contact but through a c and c cage, for example) and just helping them settle in would also be appreciated! Thanks, Poppy :)

Not sure but wont the boys fight if near females?

Boys will go nuts trying to reach the girls whenever the girls go into season and yes it can cause aggression. If you have successfully bonded boys I would not risk them falling out. Either keep the girls in a different room or if you don't have the space stack the cages. I can't remember which way it is but you're supposed to keep girls on the top/bottom part to avoid the boys from smelling them. Sorry I can't remember which way it is

Boys will go nuts trying to reach the girls whenever the girls go into season and yes it can cause aggression. If you have successfully bonded boys I would not risk them falling out. Either keep the girls in a different room or if you don't have the space stack the cages. I can't remember which way it is but you're supposed to keep girls on the top/bottom part to avoid the boys from smelling them. Sorry I can't remember which way it is
Ok thanks for the help

Yes this is what i thought. Boars are hard to bond too. You are lucky that you have 3 that gets on

Good luck with your new piggies and I hope your make trio works out! Most male trios end in separation
I had 4 of them together but one of them got really aggressive so I had to rehome him (luckily he isn't far away so I can go see him as he is with my mums best friend) but now they all get along great!

As your boys are not neutered you will need to ensure that whatever arrangements you put in place are going to have to very secure so as to prevent any unintentional breeding. It is likely that if your boys are kept in a divided cage with females that they will fight. Boar trios are statistically the most unstable of all groupings. It would be safer to house the girls separately from the boys.

As your boys are not neutered you will need to ensure that whatever arrangements you put in place are going to have to very secure so as to prevent any unintentional breeding. It is likely that if your boys are kept in a divided cage with females that they will fight. Boar trios are statistically the most unstable of all groupings. It would be safer to house the girls separately from the boys.
Ok, thank you! I have an old Guinea pig hutch from my last 5 (sadly all of them passed away) and I could probably use that. I also have about 28 c and c cage grids that I could use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back