new girl into a herd of 3 showing dominance over all 3

skippyinspace

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Have introduced a new to pig into our herd of 3, The neutral ground intro sort of went well but the original 3 pigs just ignored the new pig, the new pig popcorned and did eat hay with the other 3 who didn't seem too fused about her this went on for 5 hours, So have now introduced them in the cage,

Expecting the original 3 pigs to be dominant here but the new pig has taken the central ground in the cage and will chase the other 3 girls who wont stand their ground and just run and hide in the hay or one of the houses. When new ig goes into the house they leave, sometimes quietly some time with a high pitched wheek. When facing off the original pigs all run away.

All pigs are getting food and water but hide when they see new pig.

Occasionaly one of the pigs will challenge the new pig and she will run off and keep out of that pigs way for a while, will have a nap and will then start being boss again.

All pigs are girls

New pig we were told was 2/3 years but we think are younger

Our other Pigs range from 3 to 4 years

Any thoughts

It all sounds pretty normal to me. So long as the new pig isn’t actively bullying them and they are allowed to eat, drink and rest your new pig is asserting her dominance and your 3 other pigs are submitting.

It takes roughly 2 weeks for them to settle and form a heirachy so I’d leave them to get on with it

You may find the following threads helpful Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

The 3 original pigs now seem to be living OK together again, New pig is living in the houses that the other pigs are not in, Will eat with the other 3 pigs but will take the veg and run. Though now starting to see more of her when the other pigs are out. Still disappointed that the original pigs will not challenge the new pig when she is trying to be dominant, but new pig is still trying to be dominant even when the other pigs seemed to have sumbimmised

Have noticed that the pigs are now blowing air out of their noses when near the new pig and the new pig is doing the same?

Any idea on what this means?

Ideally you don’t want the other 3 pigs to challenge the new pig for dominance as that’s when fall outs can happen. I’m afraid I don’t know what the blowing air means but I wouldn’t worry. Your 3 pigs have submitted and accepted your new pig as top pig which is all positive

Week further on, While the pigs are not sleeping together yet. less chasing seems to be done and they are all sleeping in different houses but when food is on the go its being eaten together. Occasionally the new pig will share what she has decided to be her house Which is the castle that is big enough for about 8 pigs house ith usually just one other pig. But things seem to have settled. Hopefully when they go to the boarders at the end of the week while we go on holiday things will be fine. They will get the tunnels from home but houses will be provided by the boarding people. The original 3 pigs have been there before and I'm also led to believe the boarding place would do bonding if asked so know what to look out for.

Back