New Friend For My Single Guinea Pig?

bee callander

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, first ever post on this thread but I need some advice for my sow Betty.

I had adopted Betty and her cagemate Wilma from Pets at Home a few months back, to cut a very long story short Wilma had a very persistant URI and unfortunately had to be put to sleep :( at first I was very worried about Betty and how she would cope on her own. A few months have passed and she seems to be fine but still in the back of my mind I'm just worried that she gets lonely.
The only things that put me off getting her a friend is the will they/wont they get on as I'm quite short for space for two cages. Secondly is that while Wilma was ill, Betty started to barber and mount Wilma (possibly stress/dominance?) which at first surprised me as she was the most shy of the pair and I wouldn't want to get her a companion and cause stress to the new pig.

I'm maybe thinking too much into it but I would just like some second opinions, thanks!

When I got my 3rd pig from a rescue it was on the provision that they bonded. I didn't have room to keep them separate so took him on a trial, sort of an extended bonding date for a week! Luckily they got on great.

When I got my 3rd pig from a rescue it was on the provision that they bonded. I didn't have room to keep them separate so took him on a trial, sort of an extended bonding date for a week! Luckily they got on great.
yeh I preferably would like a rescue which I've been looking into and a lot of them seem to do the bonding pre re homing which is great!

Back