New (female) guinea pig mounting?

toast

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just introduced a new guinea pig to my all female herd. She’s 3 years old, I have two 2yos and one 1yo. They have all been together since they were babies.

The introductions went well, so I decided to leave them together in the cage. However, I’ve noticed the new guinea pig (Dinah) is chasing and mounting one of my other guinea pigs (Petunia.) They are both 100% female.

I’ve seen my guinea pigs mount each other when they’re in heat before, but never this intensely. Neither of them has been injured, but Dinah has been very persistent so far.

Is this normal?
Thanks.

Yes chasing and mounting is normal for a new bonding and will continue for around two weeks while they finish forming their relationship.

It also depends on where your new piggy is trying to be in the hierarchy. Hierarchies start at the top and work down. Do you knew where Petunia was in the hierarchy?

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Yes chasing and mounting is normal for a new bonding and will continue for around two weeks while they finish forming their relationship.

It also depends on where your new piggy is trying to be in the hierarchy. Hierarchies start at the top and work down. Do you knew where Petunia was in the hierarchy?

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thanks so much for your reply and the helpful links!

As far as I could tell Agnes was at the top of the hierarchy, and Petunia and Maud were pretty evenly matched. So far Dinah has had no problem with Agnes or Maud, and she and Petunia haven’t really had serious fights, just bickering. I was just curious if it was normal for this to continue for a while. I’ll just keep an eye on them and if it escalates I’ll separate them out.

Thanks so much again!

Back