New Companion For Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAF

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi people,

I have a three year old guinea pig - let's call him Harry, as his real name wouldn't be very pronounceable for most of you - who's a bit sad ever since his friend passed away :bye: I got them both at almost the same time and at they were very young, so they didn't fight, although Harry was the dominating one, both of them being males.
I would like to get him another companion (though still a male), but I'm worried about how Harry will accept him, given the age difference and his previous dominating behavior.

Thanks for any advice.

If anyone is interested, these are some pictures (Harry is the black/white one): http://gallery.s-a-f.ro/index.php?/category/3

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your best option for Harry is to take him to a rescue were he can choose his own friend. This will avoid any fighting. Could you add your location so people can recommend rescues? Harry is gorgeous but I would love to know his real name!

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! You are very welcome to post a tribute to Harry's companion in our Rainbow Bridge section.
There is a tutorial video to help you upload pictures on the top bar: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/videos/

Can you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, so we can give you recommendations that are adequate for your location and possibilities? Your options vary quite a lot depending on where you are.

Hi,

Wow! Lightning replies!
piggyfan, his real name is Haralambie :lol: I'm betting that wouldn't mean much for you.
I just added my location, it's Bucharest, Romania. I didn't think about rescues. Honestly, I don't even know if we have any here. I'll try digging around for some guinea pigs communities around, but if you have any suggestions (or if anybody from Romania is reading this), the better.

Thanks.

Haralambie is a cool name! When I was looking at his photos I noticed the cage seemed a bit small. I hope you do not mind me saying that. The minimum should be 140 by 60 cm for two boars. I hope you will use the forum and ask any questions you have.

I looked up his name and it appears to be a Roman soldier!

Haralambie is a cool name! When I was looking at his photos I noticed the cage seemed a bit small. I hope you do not mind me saying that. The minimum should be 140 by 60 cm for two boars. I hope you will use the forum and ask any questions you have.
I know, that cage was there only when Haralambie was was very small. After we got Mihăiță (the brown one), we switched to a bigger cage. They are also free to roam around the house, and only go into the cage to eat/drink/sleep.

I looked up his name and it appears to be a Roman soldier!
No idea about that. It's just a funny name for us to say (not that common).

You have no need to be sorry. Forums can be confusing when you are new.

Welcome to the forum..

So sorry to hear about your loss..

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have... just start a new thread in the appropriate section

Great to have you on board... :tu:

Lisa & Ali..

I am sorry, I haven't got any information on rescues in Romania; there may well be none that have guinea pigs and they will most likely not be able to bond them.

If rescues don't work out, you have got the following options:
- look for a baby boar, preferably not a dominant one. If Haralambie could meet the babies and make his own choice, that would improve the odds, but it might not be possible for you. There is a certain risk that the characters will clash when the youngster hits the bit hormones between 4-14 months old, but your odds are still better than 50%.
- look for another single adult boar in need of a new home (there may even be one in rescue). It is rather likely that they will not bond, but they could make next door companions with interaction and stimulation through the bars.
- You could also consider either an unwanted adult/older single sow or a couple of young sows as next door neighbours, provided that they never get together. Haralambie will still be happy to rumble at them through the bars!

In both cases you may have to consider the need for quarantine. Our recommended British rescues all have a mandatory quarantine upon arrival.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/

We have got tips for bonding and information on dominance behaviours at the top of our behaviour section, and we are also willing to talk you through a bonding if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back