New companion after loss advice

fmc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to posting though I've found this forum useful many times so thank you all... Sadly we lost one of our beautiful guinea pigs yesterday and she leaves behind her life companion (4.5 years). She appears to still be eating so not dangerously affected luckily, but we don't want her to be alone for long.

My question is: which is likely to be most successful, finding a suitable single match (take the time looking for a guinea pig that needs rehoming that gets on with her) or get a very young guinea pig (or even a pair of born together female youngsters) in hope their age difference will smooth any bonding/dominance issues?

I'm aware the second option would be quicker and might reduce problems with loneliness and grief, but I also know a personality match isn't guaranteed and haven't got the room to end up with a permanent two cage neighbouring arrangement. I have no reason to expect her to be difficult to get on with, she's a lovely sociable gp, but she's only ever spent time with her lost companion (and us!). Any advice/experience?

I’m sorry for your loss.

Any one of the options is fine but dating at a rescue is safest to ensure a good bond. There will be a longer wait but if she is ok, then you do have time and its the best way to ensure you don’t end up in a situation with a failed bond.

A young sow or even a pair (if your cage is big enough for three sows - 180x60 as a recommended size) are likely to be accepted (youngsters just want companionship) but the reality is you don’t know until you try

Thank you, the cage is a 2x4 c&c (150x70) with a loft and separate house options so should work for three practically, as you say it's the emotional side that's harder to judge. I've seen one fb post of a neutered male who might be available for dating near enough, but we live rurally so I'm not sure we'll have many rescue options to try.

Thank you, the cage is a 2x4 c&c (150x70) with a loft and separate house options so should work for three practically, as you say it's the emotional side that's harder to judge. I've seen one fb post of a neutered male who might be available for dating near enough, but we live rurally so I'm not sure we'll have many rescue options to try.

A 2x4 is perfect for two piggies, but likely too small for three long term (loft spaces don’t count towards the cage size), a 2x5 is the recommended size for three piggies to give them enough space each and not risk space related squabbles.

While dating is the best and safest way, it’s not always an option and then it becomes just about finding a friend even if that is purchasing

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss, please do consider a neutered boar, they are fun and can make for a very stable relationship x

Reactions: fmc
I ended up getting a pig from a friend of a friend when I was in the same situation. I couldn't find any guinea pigs at all in any rescues within 50 miles, there is no rescue offering piggy dating within 3 hours' drive from us, so it was this pig or no pig.
We had a fine old time, bonding the two of them. I thought it might go well as existing piggy was always so chilled but they had a huge fight at first contact. Watching those two settle their differences and learn to get along was one of the most stressful things I've ever done. But a few months further down the line they get on just fine so it was worth all the worry!

A 2x4 is perfect for two piggies, but likely too small for three long term (loft spaces don’t count towards the cage size), a 2x5 is the recommended size for three piggies to give them enough space each and not risk space related squabbles.

While dating is the best and safest way, it’s not always an option and then it becomes just about finding a friend even if that is purchasing
Thanks very much, that's useful to know.

I ended up getting a pig from a friend of a friend when I was in the same situation. I couldn't find any guinea pigs at all in any rescues within 50 miles, there is no rescue offering piggy dating within 3 hours' drive from us, so it was this pig or no pig.
We had a fine old time, bonding the two of them. I thought it might go well as existing piggy was always so chilled but they had a huge fight at first contact. Watching those two settle their differences and learn to get along was one of the most stressful things I've ever done. But a few months further down the line they get on just fine so it was worth all the worry!
Thank you, if we end up in a similar situation I migth come back to you for tips! I hope whoever she ends up with is a good match without the stress though, well done for getting through it for their happiness :-)

Hello, I'm new to posting though I've found this forum useful many times so thank you all... Sadly we lost one of our beautiful guinea pigs yesterday and she leaves behind her life companion (4.5 years). She appears to still be eating so not dangerously affected luckily, but we don't want her to be alone for long.

My question is: which is likely to be most successful, finding a suitable single match (take the time looking for a guinea pig that needs rehoming that gets on with her) or get a very young guinea pig (or even a pair of born together female youngsters) in hope their age difference will smooth any bonding/dominance issues?

I'm aware the second option would be quicker and might reduce problems with loneliness and grief, but I also know a personality match isn't guaranteed and haven't got the room to end up with a permanent two cage neighbouring arrangement. I have no reason to expect her to be difficult to get on with, she's a lovely sociable gp, but she's only ever spent time with her lost companion (and us!). Any advice/experience?

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss. Here is what you can do for your bereaved girl right now and in the longer term:
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Information on how rescue dating works: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

What you can do for yourself and how to make sense of your own strong and sometimes surprising emotions in the wake of a pet loss: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

As to where to look (since I am local to you):
- Debbie from TEAS sanctuary in Northampton may have a neutered boar or two available for dating right now.
@furryfriends (TEAS)
- Hazelcroft Rescue in St Albans do have plenty of sows desperately looking for homes; they are another option for dating if you prefer sow company.
I have adopted from either place and can recommend them warmly.

For contacts on all our carefully vetted recommended good welfare standard and practice rescues: Guinea Pig Forum recommended rescues
Please be aware that many rescues have more piggies than on their adoption page and that they often have singles available for dating if they offer this service. Please always enquire by email or phone and be patient - rescue people usually struggle to get enough sleep; they are generally very busy.

I noticed on Facebook that Debbie at TEAS furry friends has the very handsome Zac (neutered boar) looking for a lady friend

Back