New cage

Rachylou22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya

We currently have a modified book case as a cage for Doughnut and Popcorn but we are moving house and need something which looks a little less of an eyesore and preferably less bulky.
We currently have some windows cut out with c&c cage panels however we do have a puppy who is crazy about getting to their poops and puts her arm through the panels and I am worried she could accidentally hurt them.
So need a sturdy and safe cage idea which would also look easy on the eyes.

Any ideas?

Could your raise the cage up off the ground to prevent your puppy getting to it? It has the added advantage of allowing for storage space underneath, so the cage actually ends up taking up less space.
You can buy translucent but solid grids that connect the same way as C&C grids, I believe you can also get transparent plexiglass panels of the same thing, though it does scratch extremely easily. I am assuming you have a lid over the cage at the moment?

A few examples:
3x2 Clear C&C Cage with Stand

You can also get C&C grids that have very fine mesh, they are not the prettiest. I can’t seem to find a picture of any though!

Attachments

• IMG_1420.webp
    IMG_1420.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 4
They are on a big unit we use for storage but pup stands up and pups hands through.
They do not have a lid as they are currently too high for her to get near the top but on the side we have raised panels of wood.

They are on a big unit we use for storage but pup stands up and pups hands through.
They do not have a lid as they are currently too high for her to get near the top but on the side we have raised panels of wood.
Ah ok. Puppies have a magical way of getting into absolutely everything!
Could you take it higher? I’m guessing you probably can’t. I think there may be pictures of the opaque grids being used in cages here: Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

I have definitely seen them built with a combination of wire grids on top, clear panels at front and opaque ones for the rest of the cage but can’t find where I saw it.

We used to have a c&c cage combination for our bunnies before they had their own room and found that they kept popping out of place so worried they would not be strong enough with a dog around?

We used to have a c&c cage combination for our bunnies before they had their own room and found that they kept popping out of place so worried they would not be strong enough with a dog around?
I think it depends where you buy from. If the grids, connectors and panels are from different companies or are not great quality they may not stay together too well. I would expect if you found one like the one I linked that comes as one kit from a specific company then it should be of reasonable quality. I haven’t bought any cages recently but I can say that the cage I got when I first got my guinea pigs (seven years ago!) came with very sturdy good quality correx and the grids are sturdy, the connectors hold the grids but are not difficult to get them in and out of. The part of the cage that has grids that came as a storage system kit from eBay or Amazon is terrible, some of the grids have broken bits that look whole but will flex, the connectors are extremely tight and can be very difficult to get the grids in and out of. The company that the cage came from either has a new name or most likely doesn’t exist any more which is unfortunate.

If you were putting the cage on a table, you could (if you have the space) make sure there is a bit of empty table between the cage and the edge so that your dog can’t just reach straight up and into it. It depends on if your dog is going to get much bigger, there’s nothing much more difficult than an adolescent dog that is the size of an adult with the energy and attitude of a puppy!

This is what they are in now but I did look at Kavee c&c cages, just worried about then coming apart and pup getting to pigs.
She shouldn't get much bigger now so I think the height is alright.

Attachments

• 16976499426295535247819218147510.webp
    16976499426295535247819218147510.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 3
Thus is what we are looking at...

Attachments

• IMG-20231018-WA0003.webp
    IMG-20231018-WA0003.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 4
I've used kavee cages,they are sturdy.you could buy a lid and stand .
Thankyou. We will be putting the cage on top of the unit they are currently on so I don't think they would need a stand as will be a bit taller than what they have now and will not be near the sofa so doggy won't be able to get at them.

Unless your dog manages to jump on the cage or slam into it extremely violently then these cages are very stable as long as all of the grids are connected properly! I go around my cage each week when I do a full clean just to make sure all of the grids are in their connectors properly but I have a mix of two different grid types in a funny L shape so it can be a bit less stable.

Thus is what we are looking at...
I have this - I have a dog too - I reinforced my grids with cable ties and it works really well ! I have the clear Perspex at the front and I have a lid too and storage underneath

Attachments

• IMG_0615.webp
    IMG_0615.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
IMG_3270.webpIMG_1077.webp
This is my home made cage that sits on units, it’s wooden furniture boards and plexi at the front, very solid.

If you do go down the C&C route don’t get a kavee one, they are no better than cheaper alternatives from the likes of cage creations or Amazon and the base isn’t high so hay spills out!

View attachment 234126View attachment 234128
This is my home made cage that sits on units, it’s wooden furniture boards and plexi at the front, very solid.

If you do go down the C&C route don’t get a kavee one, they are no better than cheaper alternatives from the likes of cage creations or Amazon and the base isn’t high so hay spills out!

You have a really nice looking cage, it looks really organised with the line of food jars next to it!

Back