New cage

JaimeGraceUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This took me over an hour and half to put together on my own. The boys are not sure as they have more room. ive tried to keep the placement of houses and that the same to keep changes to a minimum.

Attachments

• 271491902_227094649595460_1543737669478006039_n.webp
    271491902_227094649595460_1543737669478006039_n.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
Fantastic new cage for them!

Have you used soiled bedding from their old cage? That can help as it means the cage will still smell if them.
You may see an increase in dominance while they restablish themselves. I would keep an eye on them with those two enclosed pigloos though as they are only one exit, they can be a potential flash point for issues

Fantastic new cage for them!

Have you used soiled bedding from their old cage? That can help as it means the cage will still smell if them.
You may see an increase in dominance while they restablish themselves. I would keep an eye on them with those two enclosed pigloos though as they are only one exit, they can be a potential flash point for issues
atm they are just zooming all over coz of the new space lol also they like it as when i sit down next to the cage they are eye level with me and just want attention which they have never done before.

Sherlock is trying to hump his brother. They are plenty of hiding places and plenty of room to be aware from each other.

I got the boys a new cage but now sherlock is trying to hump sheldon. no blood has been drawn.... yet but sherlock will not leave sheldon alone. sheldon is trying to stick up for himself so sherlock isnt having it and will keep trying.

what can i do?

You don’t need to do anything at this point. Humping is totally normal behaviour for boars and definitely to be expected in a new cage.
Ensure all hides have two exits and there is nowhere one can get trapped by the other

You don’t need to do anything at this point. Humping is totally normal behaviour for boars and definitely to be expected in a new cage.
Ensure all hides have two exits and there is nowhere one can get trapped by the other
ah ok. ill have to remove their houses as its just one way in and out

ah ok. ill have to remove their houses as its just one way in and out

Yes definitely remove them. One exit hides are not recommended due to the chances of one being cornered by the other.
Ensure you replace them though so they still have a hide each - cardboard boxes with two holes can cut in work well

It's still to do with the cage, it makes it easier to offer the best advice that your piggies deserve. 👍

I have put some boxes with entry and exit holes in them is there anything more i can do? I'm using different bedding as well should i change that as well? i normally use newspaper and wood shavings but atm I'm using these waterproof fleece things. do i put newspaper over the fleece sheets?

I have put some boxes with entry and exit holes in them is there anything more i can do? I'm using different bedding as well should i change that as well? i normally use newspaper and wood shavings but atm I'm using these waterproof fleece things. do i put newspaper over the fleece sheets?

As long as they have two exit hides there isn’t much more you can do.

Is the bedding the same as was used in their previous cage? Or did you put a fresh fleece in the new cage when you moved them into it?

No you don’t put newspaper on top of fleece. The fleece is a stand-alone bedding. If it has the absorbent layer stitched into it then you don’t need to use anything else.

Do be aware that some members find they have problems with fleece liners which have a waterproof backing as they can smell more quickly.

As long as they have two exit hides there isn’t much more you can do.

Is the bedding the same as was used in their previous cage? Or did you put a fresh fleece in the new cage when you moved them into it?

No you don’t put newspaper on top of fleece. The fleece is a stand-alone bedding. If it has the absorbent layer stitched into it then you don’t need to use anything else.

Do be aware that some members find they have problems with fleece liners which have a waterproof backing as they can smell more quickly.
no i thought with a new cage i wud try new bedding type. ive put newspaper down on top of the fleece as they are used to the newspaper texture. so they have half just fleece and half that fleece and newspaper to try and keep the changes minimum. they have hay and they just had their breakfast. when they first when into the cage they acted like the floor was lava they werent sure of the feel of the fleece. they have seem to have calmed down atm. but will keep an eye on them,

i got the boys in october and put them in a new cage then with no problem. but this one has caused abit of an uphall.

no i thought with a new cage i wud try new bedding type. ive put newspaper down on top of the fleece as they are used to the newspaper texture. so they have half just fleece and half that fleece and newspaper to try and keep the changes minimum. they have hay and they just had their breakfast. when they first when into the cage they acted like the floor was lava they werent sure of the feel of the fleece. they have seem to have calmed down atm. but will keep an eye on them,

Ah ok, this may also explain the dominance behaviour.
When you change cage it’s best to take the used, soiled bedding from the old cage and put it in the new cage for the first few days and not use new bedding. This means the new cage still smells of them and they will recognise it as still being their territory. You can then do a normal cage clean a few days later.
So It’s not the bedding type as such , it’s the smell of it (of lack of smell) which can cause the upset.

Ah ok, this may also explain the dominance behaviour.
When you change cage it’s best to take the used, soiled bedding from the old cage and put it in the new cage for the first few days and not use new bedding. This means the new cage still smells of them and they will recognise it as still being their territory. You can then do a normal cage clean a few days later.
So It’s not the bedding type as such , it’s the smell of it (of lack of smell) which can cause the upset.
ah ok

Looks like there is peace again lol they have been sleeping next to each other and eating together. i will keep an eye of them.

Back