New Cage

• Thread starter Thread starter Piggeroo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Piggeroo

Hello all I am new, I've been following this website for a few months, as I have taken a great interest in GP's, my friend has them and they are just so cute and addictive. I love the noises they make. Anyway, I am preparing for when I get some, and brought this DeLuxe cage about a week ago, it really was a bargain, at £25 (it is also designed to house 2 rabbits as well as GP's) it came with the hay rack section, the igloo, the feeding bowl x2 and the water bottle which is controlled by a valve, I thought it was great value for money.

I never realised how big it was going to be until it came, and its practically nearly the length of my bed. Pictures are really deceiving lol. My friend said 2 GP's would comfortably live in their, 3 would be abit too much.
I love the CC ones but unfortunately we have to look after relatives dogs and cats now and again, and really needed something that would be cat/dog proof.

Well what do you think?

DSC01548.jpg

DSC01547.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

Really? Its nearly the size of your bed? It looks much smaller than that. What is the length?
I have to say I would never house rabbits in those cages - they are way to small.

Aw it looks good! When are you planning to get piggies to put in? can't wait for pics :) x

Hiya,

Welcome to the board. Do you know the exact measurements of the cage? :)

Louise
x

The cage length from the bottom of the bed is alittle way before my pillow, the length is 105cm.
Hopefully I can get some GP's on this side of xmas, but my other half wants me to wait til early next year. In the mean time I am just agthering bits and pieces for them. Plus they will be going into a room of their own, as we have a spare bedroom, so we've decided to put them in their where the computer will go, so we can be with them all the time and also have a run around area with lino flooring for them. I'm so excited I can't wait to get it all finished.

Yay! it is exciting setting everything up :) mine have one of the spare rooms to themselves with a lock on the door to stop the cat getting in! So there's an idea for you for extra sfaty lol! x

Hehehe the cats we don't worry about its the dog, he is a Rotweiller and funnily enough my other halfs dad taught him to open up doors which now they wish they never did lol. :D

Great! The requirements for two pigs is 4ft by 2 ft but you are only slightly off. I have a lone boar in a Nero 3 which is around 3ft something he seems ok, I'm hoping to get him a friend soon and a hutch that I will use indoors until spring as well as setting up a C&C Cage. I think you are doing the right thing in getting prepared, theres a lot to take stock of.

Of course me being a bit mad I did everything backwards and got a pig forst before I had a cage. I housed my Aby Sunshine is a small cage but it was all I could find at the time, until I could get a 5ft 2 hutch after a couple of weeks (I had difficulty locating it!) I then introduced Sunshine to Twinkle, I didn't quarantine as I didn't know anything about that but they were fine and have bonded. I tried to introduce another boar into the mix and it went well but then Cuzzy became ill with mites and I had to seperate. I introduced him back into the group but the boys are teens now and didn't like it one bit. So Cuzzy is on his own but loves all the attention he is getting.

So my advice after me doing everything back to front is arm yourself with all the info you can, and stock up on things you need. Any questions just ask there are loads of people here who know there stuff, I'd be lost without this board!

Good luck with it!

Louise
x

Oh thats great :) Lol I am suprised I never got the GP first myself, I am a little dopey but my b/f is the one with the brains ;D

Thank you so much. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known how to prepare myself. I have been reading this forum for a while now and just plucked up the courage to post. I wanted to show my cage off really, not that it is a patch on all the CC ones as they look tremendous. Also having a friend who is into GP's helped alot in getting a big cage, as she knows more than myself. I have no clue about GP's at all.

Thank you so much for the kind welcome it really is a pleasure to get to know you all, I love how you all support each other through thick and thin and thats what its all about in time of need. ;)

I think that cage will be about fine, like as already been said it slighty short of the required but I think they will be fine :smitten: Guinea's are wonderful. My first two in March were a birthday present and I didn't know much about them but now I have 4 and there lovely, and they have nice big cages to themselves.

It's good that you are doing your research before obtaining the piggies though O0

Awww thank you so much :)
I hope that once I am able to get some piggies (which I hope to rescue from Walsall Rescue), they won't be spending alot of time in the cage, as I will have them in a pen for the best part of the nights and weekends. At work we get loads of tubes too (as long as 2ft to 4ft) which are just thrown away every day, so I am starting to save them up for their play pen area.

I think that cage looks good for 2 piggies. Good to see you are organised, I wasnt ;D
I rescued my first piggy, Lennie, from a girl who kept him in a box about a foot long and I took him out of there in the box and had to stop off to get food, hay etc for him on the way home so he lived in my lounge for the first few days. When I got him a huge hutch, he didnt want to stay in it....he is my lounge piggy now :smitten: :smitten:

;D ;D thats so cute, I hope he is potty trained lol.
I was really nervous as to whether my cage was big enough. Well it is big in the flesh, photo's are very deceiving, even I was like wow thats massive.

I'm trying to buy on ebay a XL double hutch size 54" W x 20" D x 39" H for my 4 piggies is that going to be big enough instead of a 5ft single?

goldilocks said:
I'm trying to buy on ebay a XL double hutch size 54" W x 20" D x 39" H for my 4 piggies is that going to be big enough instead of a 5ft single?
That will be perfect :)

Hi Karen,

4 pigs would need a single tiered hutch/cage of 6.5ft by 2.5ft. I'm not sure you take into account the upper floor when working it all out? Hope someone can let me know that one. They need 13 square foot overall. :)

Louise
x

For four piggies that xl large hutch sold on ebay by albanypets is perfect know someone that has it ;) if that the one you on about :)

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Hi Karen,

I'm not sure you take into account the upper floor when working it all out?

I always take Both levels into account when you are working the floor space out because it is all floor on both levels

Thanks Graham,

I wasn't sure. That's better for me as I want a 4ft 2 hutch for the boys for the winter if I can't get all the C&C stuff but would get 2 levels so they have that added room. :)

Lousie
:)

I also take both floors into account, I think some sites say this as Guinea's so not naturally use ramps but my piggies spend more time running up and down the ramp then they do running around on the floor space they have so it is probably better for them.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
For four piggies that xl large hutch sold on ebay by albanypets is perfect know someone that has it ;) if that the one you on about :)
Have you got a link for it on ebay ? :D

oh the line wasnt showing underneath when I posted it 98) 98)

what do you think of the hutch?

Ummm, I'm not too good at converting measurements to be honest, but yeah it looks okay for 4 (thats what you are asking right? 98) )

I would def go for that over a 5ft single :)

I've just bought it got it as a second chance offer yeah!

anyone know how long it will take to arrive?

depends on how its getting to you, normally 5 working days at latest, but as early as 2 :) O0

ooh I'm so excited. The OH doesnt know he said if I come back with a hutch he'll kill me so please if you dont hear from me ring the rspca for the guinea pigs. He's like the big bad wolf from Little Red Riding Hood he'll huff and puff for a bit then just accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back