New cage mate.

Strawberry_Calf4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 females and a male they are in separate cages for obvious reasons and I'm looking into getting another male as a cage mate for the male I already have so he's not so lonely. The thing is I've never had to go to shelters and rescues and I don't really know much about bonding so I don't really know how to go about this. I don't want to get another just for them to not get along.

Welcome to the forum

Is your male’s cage next to the females cage? If so, he won’t be lonely as he will be able to interact with the girls side by side. Always ensure the cage is very secure so he cannot escape and try to get in with them.

If you do wish to get him a friend then definitely speak to a shelter and get their help in finding a compatible friend for him.

The issue you may face is that while your boy now may be used to sow pheromones, it doesn’t mean the new boar will be. You may need to stack their cages (with the girls at the bottom and boys at the top), move them to opposite to sides of the room so they are well away from the girls or best is to move the boys into a different room. Boar pairs who are in the presence of sows (even though they are in a separate cage) when they aren’t used to sow smells can sometimes fall out simply by smelling the girls.

Boar pairs need a bigger cage than sow pairs. A cage for two boys needs to measure 180x60cm (or a 5x2 c&c cage).

Your alternative, and I know the costs and finding an experienced vet can be prohibitive in the US, is to neuter him, have the six weeks post surgery wait and then bond him in with your girls (cage size permitting).

This guide explains how to carry out a bonding
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

There's not enough room to put them side by side or else I would the cages are just way too big.

I've been looking at shelters that allow meet ups. I don't really wanna stack them so I might just move the boys cages

Both cages are well over the size requirements so they are fine.

I really don't want resort to neutering I don't really like the idea of him being under anesthesia unless it's necessary for his health of course.

But thank you I'll definitely check out the guide

If he can’t be side by side with the girls then he definitely needs a friend to live with. (Single piggies must always be kept side by side with other piggies at all times to allow interaction through the bars and prevent loneliness).

It’s good if you’ve found a rescue who carry out introductions, it’s a great way to ensure compatibility before bringing a new piggy home

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you can find a friend for him soon. Feel free to post pictures of your piggies.

Good luck with finding him a new friend- I always had boar pairs in the past too as I had similar concerns regarding neutering.
You may find this list of US rescues useful: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations
The guide Piggies&buns linked above is really informative, and I've used it to successfully bond all of my boar pairs in the past.

If I were you I would only adopt a potential piggy from a rescue on the condition that the rescue is willing to take them back if the bond doesn't work out, as this gives you a greater peace of mind seeing as having cages side by side (understandably) isn't an option for you.

P.S. It's probably worth giving this a read too, it always helps to be prepared: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back