• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New born help.

• Thread starter Thread starter raven13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raven13

My guinea has just had three minipigs, all seem healthy and well, but are losing weight. I have tried suppliment feeding them with complan, but they still seem to be losing weight. Is there anything I can give them that will bulk them up? Their mum is well in herself, I would guess she is producing milk as the babies suckle from her, and I guess they would give up after a while if there was no milk coming out. I'll post some photos later as they're gorgeous!

congrats on your new arrivals :D :D

It may be helpful to tell us what else you feed them/if they are eating things like veggies hay etc how you are checking their weight and if mum is eating and drinking :)

I am no expert on babies but there are loads on here who will be able to help you O0

congratulations

I took in a piggie not all that long ago and she had a litter about a week ago. Firstly I checked to see if mum was producing milk (which she was). Like Daizie said are the mini pigs eating any of mums food ie dry food and fruit and veg? How much weight have they lost?

My piggie only had to minis and she seems to be doing fab and they are getting bigger. I again dont know loads about minis but have friends who have had babies before and tend to advise me!

I know that in human babies they do tend to lose weight about a week or so after birth (not always but quite often-my boys didnt) it may be similar with piggies! though I'm really not sure

How old are they?

How old are the babies?
Did you have mum for the full term of pregnancy?
What are you providing them (hard food/veggies) to eat?

Supplementing them can backfire and mum won't produce enough milk, most sows can cope with three. Check to see if Complan contains Lactose, pigs are Lactose intolerant.

If I ever need to supplement I give Evaporated Milk diluted 50/50 with water and some wholemeal bread, Mum usually eats this. You still need to monitor droppings with this though. Other people have used Lactol and some first baby milks (Aptimil).

Leafy greens and grass are good for mini pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back