New Boars

JohnLpool

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone

We’ve got two new Guineas (boars) in a 5x2 c&c cage. I know this question has no doubt been asked one hundred times but I can’t seem to find a satisfactory answer to the question. They seem to be getting I’m fine there’s no chattering and both are being allowed to feed and drink (I have two of everything!) one does seem to “chase” the other intermittently if he comes too close. There’s no nipping or biting but the other just shoots off. I guess this is normal behaviour? I have seen them intermittently cuddled up together in one of the tunnels. Just some peace of mind would be nice :)

Hi everyone

We’ve got two new Guineas (boars) in a 5x2 c&c cage. I know this question has no doubt been asked one hundred times but I can’t seem to find a satisfactory answer to the question. They seem to be getting I’m fine there’s no chattering and both are being allowed to feed and drink (I have two of everything!) one does seem to “chase” the other intermittently if he comes too close. There’s no nipping or biting but the other just shoots off. I guess this is normal behaviour? I have seen them intermittently cuddled up together in one of the tunnels. Just some peace of mind would be nice :)

Hi!

Yes, that is normal and nothing to worry about. If they are snuggling up together, it means that they have a very good relationship and are firmly bonded. In between, there is just some rather mild dominance behaviour as they are establishing a working group. ;)

How long does this usually last for? I’m just super paranoid that one is going to be unhappy :D

It can last 3-4 days sometimes with bonding. When we bonded two girls this year Widget was chasing Chickpea for around 7 days whenever she encountered her. They are now the best of friends and sleep together.... They sound like they will settle

Thank you both for your advice. There’s been lots of humping tonight from one of them. The other looks to have submitted all of the time. They’re both about 12 weeks old now so I suppose they’re entering their hormonal phase! :evil:

Thank you both for your advice. There’s been lots of humping tonight from one of them. The other looks to have submitted all of the time. They’re both about 12 weeks old now so I suppose they’re entering their hormonal phase! :evil:

And just to make it even better for you, the hormonal period can last til they're around 16 months old. It sounds like your boys are doing pretty well with themselves so far though.

Thank you...it all looks so aggressive! They both sit and feed together fine but there's quite a bit of chasing, bottom sniffing and humping inbetween! How do you know when this becomes incessant?

Hi everyone, I have a feeling I'm going to become a regular on here. My boys are still eating together but have stopped sleeping together. Is this normal? I weighed them both yesterday Winston is 456g and Branston 526g they're approximately 3 months old. The humping seems to have stopped but chasing is still happening and Branston is rumblestrutting and chattering at times with no reaction from Winston. I've not had them a week yet but some reassurance that this is OK would be nice :)

Hi. It is all normal Boar behaviour. One of my pairs are always rumbling at each other. They don’t sleep beside each other either. They and you sound like you’re doing fab.

Back