New Blind Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethB30

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello from the US! My daughter and I recently adopted a blind baby pig. I had one when I was small, and had nothing but fond memories of my Ralph. My daughter had recently lost her fancy rat, Ella, to old age.

I knew the new baby (her name is Izzy) was blind before I picked it up. She was born without eyes, but from what I have read she is NOT lethal. She is tricolored and has normal teeth. Maybe a result from inbreeding?

Anyway- she seems healthy enough- full, glossy coat, GREAT appetite. Her behavior is a little unusual. Instead of bolting when she's startled she tends to freeze, and she doesn't wander far when being held or allowed on the floor.

I'm thinking of taking her for a vet check just to be sure she is okay. The problem is there aren't any exotic vets in my area. I'm not totally without rodent or pig experience, but her disability has me a little nervous.

I haven't accessed my photobucket account in a very long time, so it might take me a while to post pictures. In the meantime, I enjoy reading all the knowledgeable posts here!

Thank you!

Freezing is another prey animal technique in hopes the predator will leave. Seeing as she is new and doesn't yet know the setting comfortably freezing is better then bolting when you don't know where to go. It doesn't sound too worrying to me especially if she's eating but a vet visit would at least give you a professional opinion :)

Freezing is also very normal guinea pig behavior when startled- the instinct is either to freeze and hope that nothing sees you or run and hope that nothing catches you. It can also take even sighted pigs some time to warm up and feel comfortable and begin to explore. They are cautious by nature, as they are prey animals in the wild, and some are more cautious than others! Have you considered having a pair of guinea pigs instead of just one? Guinea pigs are social animals and are happiest with another guinea pig friend, and this may be even more true for a blind animal, who may take cues from a sighted companion and feel more at ease and more adventurous. Nothing in her behavior sounds really abnormal to me, but it is definitely worth finding a vet that has some guinea pig knowledge now rather than not being able to find one should some emergency come up at a later time. It's worth a bit of a drive to find someone who has knowledge about guinea pigs... I drive about half an hour on a good day to my vet, but it's well worth it, especially since I had a pig with chronic health issues for over 6 years who needed someone who was knowledgeable about guinea pig teeth! Hope this helps! Congrats on your new addition!

Congratulations on your new piggie - she sounds lovely.
I can only second what others have said about considering getting her a friend.
I think in general blind piggies cope very well, but having a friend around will undoubtedly help her a lot.

Thank you all! I may decide to get her a friend when I get her bigger cage ordered. I am going to order one from C&C.

I also haven't actually sexed her yet- but I did find that handy thread. I don't want to take a chance on babies with her condition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back