New Behavior

Megan Davidson

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a 7 month old girl and lately she is not one to be messed with! She used to have no issue being pet all over, under her chin, even sometimes her butt! Lately, even if I get my hand close to her neck or sides she does a quick 180 to face my hand. One time she even nipped with her teeth! This is unusual for my girl and am curious as to what is going on. I’m thinking maybe me trying to pick her up caused some sort of annoyance with me. She doesn’t like being picked up and I was trying to work on it but it may have done more harm than good.

I have a 7 month old girl and lately she is not one to be messed with! She used to have no issue being pet all over, under her chin, even sometimes her butt! Lately, even if I get my hand close to her neck or sides she does a quick 180 to face my hand. One time she even nipped with her teeth! This is unusual for my girl and am curious as to what is going on. I’m thinking maybe me trying to pick her up caused some sort of annoyance with me. She doesn’t like being picked up and I was trying to work on it but it may have done more harm than good.

Hi!
Welcome to the peak of teenagehood! It better known in boys as the classic fight and fall-out age but many sows also experience a hormone high around this time.

If you need to assert your authority, do so with some useful piggy whispering tips in her own social concepts and language to ensure that the message arrives in the way you want it.
Who is the Boss - Your Guinea Pig or You?

Is she a single piggy or does she have a companion of her own kind? With singles you will be inevitably at the full receiving end of her own social needs and developments.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (see especially the last chapter that deals with how these social issues can come out as)

The piggie whispering tricks above are really helpful... I have a similarly-aged piggie and she is a handful (more so than any of my other pigs have been!) so I sympathize!

Back