New baby bonding?

Perkypanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly I lost my girl Mabel this week 💔 She was 6 and a half and leaves behind Millie who is a year and a half and has never been on her own before. She is eating but seems very quiet and mostly just laying there. I want to get a friend as soon as possible really. I have rung around my local rescues and none have any single sows or neutered boars so I will be getting a baby. Should I keep the baby separate or not? When I got Mabel she was already a year so kept separate for about 5 days before bonding her with Grace. With Millie she was just 9 weeks so I bonded straight away with Mabel but their bond never seemed as close so wondered if it was best to keep side by side for a few days first or to bond straight away as it will be a young piggy?
Thanks very much.

I’m sorry for your loss.
Babies need to be bonded straight away due to their need for companionship.

If they didn’t seem close then it has nothing to do with whether or not they are side by side first. Equally, how things seem to us isn’t necessary what is happening for them

Sadly I lost my girl Mabel this week 💔 She was 6 and a half and leaves behind Millie who is a year and a half and has never been on her own before. She is eating but seems very quiet and mostly just laying there. I want to get a friend as soon as possible really. I have rung around my local rescues and none have any single sows or neutered boars so I will be getting a baby. Should I keep the baby separate or not? When I got Mabel she was already a year so kept separate for about 5 days before bonding her with Grace. With Millie she was just 9 weeks so I bonded straight away with Mabel but their bond never seemed as close so wondered if it was best to keep side by side for a few days first or to bond straight away as it will be a young piggy?
Thanks very much.

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please double-check the gender first (try our sexing guide below first - we want to encourage as many people to learn how to sex properly and know where to look and what to look and feel for - but we provide a courtesy sexing service with second opinions to help make sure) and then bond immediately; a baby's need for companionship outweighs any other consideration, like quarantine or settling in.

Illustrated Sexing Guide
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (includes a chapter on baby bonding)
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Thanks for this. I will definitely check the gender again before attempting bonding. Will go ahead next weekend then when I can spend the whole 2 days with them. Millie has picked up a little today so that’s positive and hopefully a new friend will help her even more.

So far think it’s going ok. Finally managed to find a sow and began the bonding today. They’ve been in the bonding pen for 3 and a half hours now. Baby is very lively and popcorning all over the place which Millie isn’t used to so she keeps chasing her a little. However, they’ve eaten together and been grooming themselves next to each other. Sharing food too so am hoping it’s ok. Millie has nipped a few times (don’t think she actually used her teeth though) but think she is a little bewildered. She is also pushing the babies chin up a lot but each time the baby is letting her and then they wander off and eat. Will move to cage soon. Keep fingers crossed for me!

So far think it’s going ok. Finally managed to find a sow and began the bonding today. They’ve been in the bonding pen for 3 and a half hours now. Baby is very lively and popcorning all over the place which Millie isn’t used to so she keeps chasing her a little. However, they’ve eaten together and been grooming themselves next to each other. Sharing food too so am hoping it’s ok. Millie has nipped a few times (don’t think she actually used her teeth though) but think she is a little bewildered. She is also pushing the babies chin up a lot but each time the baby is letting her and then they wander off and eat. Will move to cage soon. Keep fingers crossed for me!

Hi

It sounds like acceptance has happened and Millie has progressed to the leadership/group establishment phase. Nipping, little chases and forcing the chin up of under-piggie are in the milder range of dominance and appropriate for putting babies firmly into their place at the bottom of the hierarchy.

It sounds good to me. :tu:

Hi

It sounds like acceptance has happened and Millie has progressed to the leadership/group establishment phase. Nipping, little chases and forcing the chin up of under-piggie are in the milder range of dominance and appropriate for putting babies firmly into their place at the bottom of the hierarchy.

It sounds good to me. :tu:
I’m glad. It’s been a little more stressful than previous times. Hopefully it continues to go well.

I’m glad. It’s been a little more stressful than previous times. Hopefully it continues to go well.

Adults can be pretty rough and wild with babies in the dominance phase but it is generally much shorter than with adults and often over it after a couple of days with just the odd reminder. It is just a normal part of group establishment with a baby. But the bond has been created; it is now in the thick of being fully established.

Just sit it out and let your piggies take care of themselves and hopefully get a great friendship out of it once the protocol has been worked through. The makings of it are there. ;)

Think things are a little more settled today. Thank goodness. Hopefully it stays that way!
I have a question though… Millie has to go to the vets on Wednesday as she has a small lump I want to get checked. Should I take baby with her? Normally I would but was unsure if it would be too stressful?

Attachments

• IMG_0083.webp
    IMG_0083.webp
    146.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0066.webp
    IMG_0066.webp
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0073.webp
    IMG_0073.webp
    117.4 KB · Views: 3
Think things are a little more settled today. Thank goodness. Hopefully it stays that way!
I have a question though… Millie has to go to the vets on Wednesday as she has a small lump I want to get checked. Should I take baby with her? Normally I would but was unsure if it would be too stressful?

Glad that everything is running its normal course. You can stop worrying and transfer them to their new home. Make sure that you only have housing with more than one exit and that you sprinkle feed pellets and veg to keep any dominance minimal. Sprinkle feeding around the cage also encourages natural foraging behaviours and counts as enrichment.

Please take both your piggies to the vets; the youngster will be more stressed by the separation.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’m pleased the bonding has gone well. They are both gorgeous. Good luck at the vets on Wednesday.

Thanks. Am hoping it’s going well. Baby seems to just sit there. Sometimes she does come out but mostly hides which is totally different to when I first put her in but hopefully it’ll settle down. Bit worried as Millie seemed to eat most of the veg (she’s super speedy) so was worried that baby won’t get any. Also need to find a name ha ha - can’t keep calling her newbie

I’m glad the bonding has gone well.

You can use veg feeding time as a bonding time and hand feed some veg to both piggies - that way you know she is getting some.
Scatter feeding veg (and pellets) around the edge can also help ensure baby has a chance to getsome

So glad the bonding went well, they make a very cute pair. So sorry you lost Mabel :hug:

Back