• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Babies

• Thread starter Thread starter Bolsie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bolsie

Hello Everyone. We got two baby pigs last weekend (Doris & Daisy) and introduced them to my 4 year old, Mable. The intro went well and they appear to be living very happily together.
I noticed that Doris & Daisy were scratching quite a bit and that Mable has started scratching much more than usual so my husband took them to the vet, who put a drop on the back of their necks for lice. The vet said that the problem should be cleared in 10-14 days and if not to take them back. I have read various threads on this forum that lice are hard to clear up so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.........
I have disinfected their hutch, run and the big plastic tub they go in at playtime and I looked at lice n easy but it says that it's not to be used on pigs under a certain age (the vet said that Doris & Daisy are 2-4 wks) so I am a bit stuck for what to do next.
They are all still scratching at the moment.

Also....as the babies are soooo young, is there anything that I should/shouldn't be doing/feeding them etc

Many thanks.

Hello.

Just wondering if there is any reason that no-one has replied to my post? I am new to this forum and hope I haven't done anything wrong :-\?

I'm sure you've done nothing wrong..maybe this thread got buried or people didn't know the answer?

I'm not sure...I was going to suggest the lice n easy shampoo but you said they're too young for that. Could you call your vet and ask for some advice?

HI, HOPE YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW, I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED LICE BEFORE SO CAN'T HELP YOU. BUT WELCOME TO THE FORUM EVERYONE IS FRIENDLY.

You've done the right thing by cleaning out the hutch and all their bedding. As of what to do for the babies... hmmm surely a little of Ivomec would be ok?

never experienced lice before either, but if theres nothing available on the shelves for the babies, then the vet is the only option.
hope you get them sorted

unrelated question -

arent those babies a little bit young to be away from their mum? I thought babies should be seperated at 6 to 8 weeks from their mum..

Abnoba said:
unrelated question -

arent those babies a little bit young to be away from their mum? I thought babies should be seperated at 6 to 8 weeks from their mum..
Does it really matter the age of these piggies the op is asking for advice. Its not thier fault they have been given or sold at a young age.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Abnoba said:
unrelated question -

Does it really matter the age of these piggies the op is asking for advice. Its not thier fault they have been given or sold at a young age.
O0

Gorgeous guineas do a mini pig shampoo or the vets should have offered you 'Xenex ' spray which is herbal insecticidal repellant and safe for use on babes, I was given it by mine when a baby I had, had suspected mites

did you quarantine them?

if they're little white rice shaped things sliding around on their fur, don't worry. they only live in guineapigs, they won't go into their bedding.
you can get drops for older pigs, but like Lucinda said, a water bath and knit combing will help.
try using tick tweezers, but I don't think they'll work because the little mites (I think they're mites  :-\ read a page on it once) move quick.#

I know this isn't a post about their age, but you should deffinetly tell whoever sold you them that they aren't to be seperated from their mothers so young.

EDIT: I just realised my post hardly made sense
but hope it's helped in some way
:)

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Abnoba said:
unrelated question -

I thought that too,the age is a bit young but they need help

I was shocked when my husband said the vet thought they were so young. I didn't think they got separated from their mum until 4-6 weeks either. They don't look any smaller than baby guineas I have bought/seen in pet shops before - I suppose there is always the chance that the vet could be wrong?

Thank you for the advice. I emailed Gorgeous Guineas who said the shampoo should be fine if I don't leave it on for long, so I will give it a try. I have looked in their fur and can't see anything moving around but they do have very small dandruff type flecks in their black fur.
I'm hoping that the drop the vet put on the back of their necks will start working soon. She said 10-14 days.

I'm a bit confused now. Are they definitely lice or are they mites?

I'm a bit mite obsessed as I'm having so much trouble with mites in my guineas. When I took them back to the vets for their second jab yesterday she said there was a chance the baby might get them too but as he/she is only ten days old there is nothing I can do at the moment.

As to the age issue, its quite common for boys to be weaned off at 3 weeks if they get a little too friendly with their mums and the vet did say between 2 and 4 weeks so if it was 4 weeks that would be fine.

I'm not sure. Husband said the vet said lice and put a drop on the back of their neck. Does this sound more like mites? I am going to research....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back