New babies

Kellymarie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had guinea pigs from the age of 6 to 26, when pregnant with my little girl and my last pigs passed on, I didn't get anymore. Its been over 4 years now, and my little girl is obsessed with guinea pigs and seeing how sensible and helpful she was during the 2 weeks we had my sisters when she was on holiday, I think it's time for me to welcome some new piggies home.
I've been looking online over the past week or so and can't see any bonded pairs of sows or neutered boar/sow pairings near me. I'm quite rural, and surrounded by coast. I don't particularly want older guinea pigs over 1-2 years as while there is obviously no guarantee on them living longer, one would expect to have them around for somewhat longer if they got younger pigs.

I'm fairly knowledgeable having even had dental pigs previously, but wanted to see if I'm missing anything here, or if my knowledge could be updated.

We will be looking to rehome off of gumtree or some other market place site as these have younger pigs available, I would ideally like a male/female pair as this Is is what I have always had previously (except they were adopted as a castrated male and bonded sow). I was thinking to get 2 sows and then await a solo male (castrated) to introduce to the girls when they've settled in etc.

I'm looking at a c&c cage of 1.4m long, 70cm wide, (5x2) by the same on a second floor minus the ramp. Is this enough surface area for the 2 females? I can probably extend to 6 x2 when male arrives, but I would need to purchase some additional grids for this.

Planning on using my old fleece liners for bedding, with hay bags, water bottle and 2 food bowls, one for each end of the cage to spread out pellets/veg etc at feeding time.

Nuggets- burgess or science selective? Not sure what they are currently on now, but I remember how to introduce new food. The wierd mint and blackcurrant flavours are slightly putting me off the burgess 😅
Do pigs under 6 months need a small amount of alfalfa hay mixed in with their Timothy hay, or is Timothy hay enough. Speaking of hay, how long will a 2.5kg box of Timothy hay from hay box last me 👀

I think that's all, It's not so much questions as more needing some confirmation I'm going about this in the right way, as it's been 5 years or so, since my last guinea pigs and I almost feel like a rookie again.

Many thanks 😊

This guide is probably a good place for you to start to refresh/get up to date with knowledge.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

If you are using websites or such like to find piggies then go in with your eyes open and be prepared for the potential pitfalls of rehoming from such sites (illness and pregnancies etc).

A 5x2 c&c is fine for three piggies. But a 5x2 measures 180x70cm
(Although the second level is not necessary)

The pellets you feed are very much personal preference.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

No guinea pig ever needs alfalfa. Just a normal grass hay is needed.
I have four piggies and two bunnies but just calculating it down as best as possible to two piggies, I estimate a 2.5kg box of hay would last me a week. Others may have a different experience!

Hi all,
I had guinea pigs from the age of 6 to 26, when pregnant with my little girl and my last pigs passed on, I didn't get anymore. Its been over 4 years now, and my little girl is obsessed with guinea pigs and seeing how sensible and helpful she was during the 2 weeks we had my sisters when she was on holiday, I think it's time for me to welcome some new piggies home.
I've been looking online over the past week or so and can't see any bonded pairs of sows or neutered boar/sow pairings near me. I'm quite rural, and surrounded by coast. I don't particularly want older guinea pigs over 1-2 years as while there is obviously no guarantee on them living longer, one would expect to have them around for somewhat longer if they got younger pigs.

I'm fairly knowledgeable having even had dental pigs previously, but wanted to see if I'm missing anything here, or if my knowledge could be updated.

We will be looking to rehome off of gumtree or some other market place site as these have younger pigs available, I would ideally like a male/female pair as this Is is what I have always had previously (except they were adopted as a castrated male and bonded sow). I was thinking to get 2 sows and then await a solo male (castrated) to introduce to the girls when they've settled in etc.

I'm looking at a c&c cage of 1.4m long, 70cm wide, (5x2) by the same on a second floor minus the ramp. Is this enough surface area for the 2 females? I can probably extend to 6 x2 when male arrives, but I would need to purchase some additional grids for this.

Planning on using my old fleece liners for bedding, with hay bags, water bottle and 2 food bowls, one for each end of the cage to spread out pellets/veg etc at feeding time.

Nuggets- burgess or science selective? Not sure what they are currently on now, but I remember how to introduce new food. The wierd mint and blackcurrant flavours are slightly putting me off the burgess 😅
Do pigs under 6 months need a small amount of alfalfa hay mixed in with their Timothy hay, or is Timothy hay enough. Speaking of hay, how long will a 2.5kg box of Timothy hay from hay box last me 👀

I think that's all, It's not so much questions as more needing some confirmation I'm going about this in the right way, as it's been 5 years or so, since my last guinea pigs and I almost feel like a rookie again.

Many thanks 😊

Hi and welcome

I assume that you are UK based as you are mentioning gumtree?

You may find this link here helpful when considering where to get your piggies from; it looks in detail at the various types of places you can get guinea pigs from: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

You may find that quite a lot has changed in the piggy world over the last 15 years as more research is now going into guinea pigs.

Hi and welcome

I assume that you are UK based as you are mentioning gumtree?

You may find this link here helpful when considering where to get your piggies from; it looks in detail at the various types of places you can get guinea pigs from: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

You may find that quite a lot has changed in the piggy world over the last 15 years as more research is now going into guinea pigs.
Thank you for that link, I've had a look and even checked out the link to recommend uk rescues but there isn't one within 2 hours drive 🙈
Yes, I'm UK based, the ones on gumtree aren't baby babies, but are already being given up so at least I'm not buying babies from a breeder I suppose, will carry on reading the info and see what I can learn!

This guide is probably a good place for you to start to refresh/get up to date with knowledge.

If you are using websites or such like to find piggies then go in with your eyes open and be prepared for the potential pitfalls of rehoming from such sites (illness and pregnancies etc).

I have four piggies and two bunnies but just calculating it down as best as possible to two piggies, I estimate a 2.5kg box of hay would last me a week. Others may have a

I have four piggies and two bunnies but just calculating it down as best as possible to two piggies, I estimate a 2.5kg box of hay would last me a week. Others may have a different experience!
Thank you! Oh wow a week, I better change my order to the 5kg box then 😂

Yes, I've seen pictures of the pigs and am going to check them both best I can before leaving with them, I'll also be taking them to the vets after Xmas for their first health checks and to get them registered.

Do guinea pigs need preventative mite and lice treatment, I can't remember that part?

Thanks

Thank you! Oh wow a week, I better change my order to the 5kg box then 😂

Yes, I've seen pictures of the pigs and am going to check them both best I can before leaving with them, I'll also be taking them to the vets after Xmas for their first health checks and to get them registered.

Do guinea pigs need preventative mite and lice treatment, I can't remember that part?

Thanks

No, no preventative treatments. Only treat in the correct length course dosed by weight for a diagnosed and active infestation.

It sounds like your new piggies are going to be spoilt rotten! Lucky pigs! 😁
If rescue isn't an option at least you are rehoming unwanted piggies privately as opposed to buying from a breeder, or the dreaded pet shop! 😬

Thank you for that link, I've had a look and even checked out the link to recommend uk rescues but there isn't one within 2 hours drive 🙈
Yes, I'm UK based, the ones on gumtree aren't baby babies, but are already being given up so at least I'm not buying babies from a breeder I suppose, will carry on reading the info and see what I can learn!

You are also welcome to ask any questions you have and will have our support all the way through. It is great that you are looking at giving an unwanted pair of piggies a new loving home.

There a lots more rescues around but since it is a totally unregulated field and yu truly get all kinds of standards we are only listing the ones whose standards are meeting those that we recommend on this forum on all levels and that we are confident any rescue piggies and adopters are in very safe hands with no corners cut. But whichever piggies find you will be lucky ones. There is no 'deserving' about this and the need is massive in a now broken system.

PS: Since we have members and enquiries from all over the world, we would be grateful if you please added your county or major city to your account details so we can adjust any advice accordingly straight away, and members - if there are any - in your neck of the woods could help you with more local recommendations. For your own safety, please do not go any more specific than that or just add UK if you do not want to get more specific.
You can find your account details when you click on your username on the top bar and then scroll down to location. You adding it will make it appear with every post underneath your avatar picture on the left.

You are also welcome to ask any questions you have and will have our support all the way through. It is great that you are looking at giving an unwanted pair of piggies a new loving home.

There a lots more rescues around but since it is a totally unregulated field and yu truly get all kinds of standards we are only listing the ones whose standards are meeting those that we recommend on this forum on all levels and that we are confident any rescue piggies and adopters are in very safe hands with no corners cut. But whichever piggies find you will be lucky ones. There is no 'deserving' about this and the need is massive in a now broken system.

PS: Since we have members and enquiries from all over the world, we would be grateful if you please added your county or major city to your account details so we can adjust any advice accordingly straight away, and members - if there are any - in your neck of the woods could help you with more local recommendations. For your own safety, please do not go any more specific than that or just add UK if you do not want to get more specific.
You can find your account details when you click on your username on the top bar and then scroll down to location. You adding it will make it appear with every post underneath your avatar picture on the left.
Thank you, I think I've added it!
Yes, found a few smaller rescues near, but they were mainly rehoming young 'bonded' boars, or solo adults. I will however have no problem, getting a solo male to add next year! 😊

Thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll have a few additional questions, but will try to post them in the specific forums!

Thank you, I think I've added it!
Yes, found a few smaller rescues near, but they were mainly rehoming young 'bonded' boars, or solo adults. I will however have no problem, getting a solo male to add next year! 😊

Thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll have a few additional questions, but will try to post them in the specific forums!

Is there a particular reason you are discounting a boar pair?

Boars are just brilliant, I have four myself.

Is there a particular reason you are discounting a boar pair?

Boars are just brilliant, I have four myself.
Ahh yes so, I've always had larger herds. One boar to several or more females. If I got a pair of boars I would be limited to adding anymore guineas without setting up additional enclosures etc.
And I really enjoy watching a herd interact! But, boars are most definitely some of previous favorite characters!

Ahh yes so, I've always had larger herds. One boar to several or more females. If I got a pair of boars I would be limited to adding anymore guineas without setting up additional enclosures etc.
And I really enjoy watching a herd interact! But, boars are most definitely some of previous favorite characters!

And that is of course a limitation of boars!
Just wanted to check as we do see new owners (which of course you’re not) discounting boars because they’ve heard bad things about them.

I have three enclosures in my shed and it is a bit of a pain. I have a pair of almost 6 year old boys who live happily together and then two single 15 month old boys. The youngsters were a pair but did not make it beyond the first two weeks of their teens. I knew the risk when I took a young boar pair though and fortunately have space for living side by side .

And that is of course a limitation of boars!
Just wanted to check as we do see new owners (which of course you’re not) discounting boars because they’ve heard bad things about them.

I have three enclosures in my shed and it is a bit of a pain. I have a pair of almost 6 year old boys who live happily together and then two single 15 month old boys. The youngsters were a pair but did not make it beyond the first two weeks of their teens. I knew the risk when I took a young boar pair though and fortunately have space for living side by side .
I would love to be able to have a guinea pig shed! I have no doubt my cage will expand over time.... 👀

I would love to be able to have a guinea pig shed! I have no doubt my cage will expand over time.... 👀

I love my shed! I can’t have my animals indoors so the shed is my space to just go and sit for some quiet! (I have the four piggies in one shed and two rabbits in a separate space). It’s supposed to contain the piggy mess but I still end up with hay indoors!
Would be easier if my two youngest piggies were still friends but luckily I have the space for them out there

Back