New arrivals!

molzify

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So it's been some 4 years or so since we welcomed new piggies into our home, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.
We have adopted two 8 month old bonded girls with the aim of bonding them with our neutered boar next weekend (subject to a health check at the vets beforehand). The girls arrived last night and we placed them into a Ferplast 120 (temporary accommodation until theyre bonded with lovely Rupert) lots of hay and snacks. We have a towel over the top to make it feel secure and are trying to be mindful about the amount of noise we are making. We know it's a huge change for them having been born in a rescue and suddenly coming to this house. We've seen them on the camera sneaking about and drinking water. Please be aware the radiator in the picture is OFF, I'm not trying to cook the poor dears!

Anything else I can do to make this change easier on them? Also feel free to drop some nam suggestions, they were supposed to be arriving next weekend.

Attachments

• 20240520_084343.webp
    20240520_084343.webp
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
So it's been some 4 years or so since we welcomed new piggies into our home, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.
We have adopted two 8 month old bonded girls with the aim of bonding them with our neutered boar next weekend (subject to a health check at the vets beforehand). The girls arrived last night and we placed them into a Ferplast 120 (temporary accommodation until theyre bonded with lovely Rupert) lots of hay and snacks. We have a towel over the top to make it feel secure and are trying to be mindful about the amount of noise we are making. We know it's a huge change for them having been born in a rescue and suddenly coming to this house. We've seen them on the camera sneaking about and drinking water. Please be aware the radiator in the picture is OFF, I'm not trying to cook the poor dears!

Anything else I can do to make this change easier on them? Also feel free to drop some nam suggestions, they were supposed to be arriving next weekend.

Hi and welcome

Here are some useful tips for settling in skittish new piggies. A sheet over the top of their cage and two or three sides does give them an added sense of protection. Also establish a regular routine with warning announcements calls with different melodies so they can learn to anticipate and adapt. Avoid any predatory behaviours.

You may find this link with further in depth practical advice helpful. It takes you step-by-step through the settling in process in a very practical way, including how to best deal with skittish arrivals: New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

We do also have a guide about naming with plenty of inspiration. There is no rush; sometimes it is actually better to wait until you know them and their personalities better. If you give yourself time you will find that the piggies will name themselves once you have arrived at a shortlist - one of those names will eventually stick and be the right one for both you and your piggies. ;)
Guinea Pig Names: considerations, solutions, inspiration and resources

We also have a very comprehensive practical owners information resource which you may find helpful to get back into the swing. You may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need since you will pick up on different things at different stages of experience. The guide links above are both included in it.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

You are however always welcome to ask any questions you may have in our various Care sections; we will answer them as promptly as we can, seeing that we are all doing this for free in our own free time.

Back