New Arivals! :d

Status
Not open for further replies.

guinea_master

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
soon after getting finnus and ferb, me and my gf fell in love with guinea pigs and have been looking to rescue more, today we heard of 2 girls needing a new home and will be picking them up soon one is 8 months old one is 17 months old, we havent had girls before what can we expect? we were looking to breed one girl with one of our males, help?

will the 17 month old be a lot calmer yet? we were hoping so, our 2 boys are about 8-10 months old. is there anything special we should know? can we house all 4 pigs together in our 7ft cage? :) thanks!

finnus&ferbs daddy <3

Breeding is dangerous and cruel. One in five births go wrong resulting in the death of sow and babies. You say you want to rescue these sows so why would you then put them through the trauma of being bred? There are so many unwanted guinea pigs in rescue. There is no excuse to breed. If that is your intention then leave these poor sows alone.

This is a pro rescue forum. Talking about breeding is not allowed.

a bit harsh? i was only asking, for the well being of the pigs i want to know everything i have heard mixed opinions about it

Not harsh at all. Breeding is dangerous. I care about the wellbeing of these poor sows. Under no circumstances should you bred them. I was trying to educate you so you would realise what a mistake it would be.

a bit harsh? i was only asking, for the well being of the pigs i want to know everything i have heard mixed opinions about it
I don't think the guinea you want to breed would agree? :(
If you want to 'rescue' some piggies, do not be putting them in the same situation that they were rescued from before!
On this forum, if a guinea pig is found pregnant, it is because when they bought them, they were the wrong sex, they didn't know they were pregnant when bought. Not because they wanted to breed them.

If you want advice, then it's:
Do not breed those guinea pigs, if you do, then you can't talk about it on this forum.

okay, thank you we shall seriously reconsider breeding, we will still be adopting the new girls :)

okay, thank you we shall seriously reconsider breeding, we will still be adopting the new girls :)
Make sure the girls are not kept in the same cage as the males, or you'll have a pregnancy on your hands- deliberate or not. Even if you have the boars neutered you'll have to wait until 6 weeks for them to be in the same cage as girls anyway.

You cannot have the girls in the same room as the boys or the boys will fight.

As has been previously said on this topic, we don't discuss breeding, you are more than welcome to discuss adoption/bonding and all of the other piggy related stuff, but no breeding. Here is a snippet of our rules.

We would like to keep this a friendly guinea pig forum where you can discuss problems, share experiences of keeping guinea pigs and posting photographs.

Everyone is very welcome to use this forum however we are a rescue friendly board so please could you keep discussions about intentional breeding and/or showing to other forums. Any threads/posts which are found to contain information on intentional breeding/showing may be removed.

Good luck on obtaining your new piggies. ;)

Good Luck with the new arrivals :)

I think everything that needs to be said has been said.

Please don't breed them. If it's baby piggies you want, there's plenty in rescue centres :(

I think there's a rescue locator on this forum somewhere.....
x

in terms of what to expect girls tend to be nicer to each other. older age doesn't necessarily mean calmer. since they are rescued they may both be a bit scared

also what piggyfan said may sound harsh but it's the truth. breeding is dangerous for all animals involved and is unnecessary. and I hope you don't mind me saying that getting more guinea pigs is not like adding more fish to a tank. you will need another cage, twice as much food and bedding and you will have to double the time you spend on lap time and floor time as well as cleaning. so breeding would mean you soon find you have no time to look after all animals. ;)

Please be aware that any first time sow over 8 months old is at risk (look up pelvic bones/ligaments) and too old to bred in the first place, and that around 20% of breeders' births go wrong for either or both pups and mum - and that percentage is with best practice!

Have a look round our pregnancy section and see for yourself how many dead pups and struggling mums we are dealing with on the basis of just unplanned baby or back-to-back pregnancies due to ignorance, misinformation and mis-sexing! We are currently still supporting a mummy who has lost all three pups at birth and is struggling with having lost mobility in her back legs as well as gut problems after an extended labour weeks after the birth. It can happen to you, too.

You will also need to have access to a very good and experienced vet nearby, as many cesarian sections still end in tragedy and far too many general vets haven't got the first idea about piggy biology; we see the sad coensequences all too often in our pregnancy section. Are you prepared for that?
Here is the relevant advice from the best medical guinea pig website: http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Your boys won't be happy to go back together after they have been with girls; but you need to remove them, or you'll end up with back-to-back pregnancies. You are willingly breaking Ferb's and Finnius' bond if you breed.

Please be aware that we are not a breeding or showing forum. It is advisable to always read the rules of any forum you want to join first. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.36529/

PS: Please keep your boys out of sight at all times and preferably out of reach of the pheromones when your girls come into season. it can cause fights and fall-outs.

thank you for all the advice and help :) we cant wait to get our girls and for the moment 4 pigs is enough for us :)

I am looking forward to pictures! Hopefully you will enjoy your girls as much as your boys.

Sadly, as cute as babies are (and they are admittedly very cute!), they can come at a very high price since guinea pigs have the longest pregnancy and the biggest pups of all rodents. :(

Sows coming into rescue are sadly quite often pregnant, so you can always look or enquire for a pair of babies or a mother/daughter pair in your local rescue if you want more piggies. Unlike boars, sows can live in groups, so you can add a neutered boar or another couple of (preferably younger) sows to your duo if you ever wish to expand into a larger community. However, I would strongly advise to date any couple or small group at a rescue to make sure that they all get on with each other, as otherwise you can end up with some major headaches and sleepless nights over an outsider problem. What makes piggies so endearing are their big personalities, but you have to take those individual characters very much into account when you want to create a group... ;)

Right now, I would recommend that you get to know your new piggies first; you will need every bit of experience gained if you want to go "group". It's fascinating, but it can also be very taxing!

I have several groups of sows, each living with a neutered boar.
You may find this thread here informative and interesting: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/biological-facts-and-guinea-pig-society.109062/

Thank you for listening to the advise given and rethinking breeding.There are plenty of babies if you want them from rescue.The thing that brought the extent of the unwanted piggy problem home to me was YouTube video on Avalon rescue.Enjoy your furry babies, simply isn't worth the risk to your girls

Glad you changed your mind :-) well done for adopting piggies over buying or breeding them. It is kind to take in guinea pigs, another point on breeding is that if you breed animals of unknown background you do not know what genetic defects they may be carrying and you may by accident be producing very sick piggies.

Thank you for changing your mind. Looking forward to seeing photos of your new arrivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back