New and need help with cage

piddlesthepiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m a new guinea pig owner and i wanted to ask about the current habitat setup I have. I wanted to know if it’s safe to leave them in this open top cage for 10 hours while I’m at work. I just added the little play pen part to the front today and I’m worried about them being able to jump or climb over the top while I’m away. The open area is about 12 inches tall. I reeeally don’t want to lock them up anddeprive them of that extra space while I’m away but I’m just concerned for their safety.

Side note: this habitat is temporary, although they really enjoy it with the little expansion added on. I'm still deciding on the perfect cage for them. I'm super picky and I’m trying to find a way to make space in my apartment to build them a c&c piggy mansion !

Hi and welcome to the forum,
It's great that you're thinking of expanding your cage (we recommend a 2x4 for sows and a 2x5 for boars) 😃
How old are your piggies? I'd be very surprised if they managed to jump out of that - that's about the height of a C&C cage, so I wouldn't worry too much. There's no reason for them to want to jump out anyway 👍

Hello and welcome to the forum
Would love to see photos of your piggies x
A C&C cage is the way to go if you have no other pets like dogs and cats. C&C‘s are great and versatile, you can make them to fit the space, even go around corners to make L shaped cages

I don’t think they would escape this but ASAP I grease the size. Can you close off the room especially if you have other pets.
If you work those hours you must be a nurse.

I'd be happy to leave them home alone with that set up, if windows were closed and they couldn't push over the play pen sides and there's isn't a young boar in there looking for love and near a female on the other side of the pen ❤️😊

There’s so much debate around cage size, open cages etc etc.
I’ve made all sorts of setups with my cages and my cages are open as yours are. None of my boys have ever shown desire to jump out or escape.
They do however have their own room, secured away from the dog. And I never leave their window open wide enough for anything to fly in when I’m not around.
As long as they have adequate space, you can create all sorts with C&C, that suits both you and your piggies.

5D933372-5F6F-480F-A091-030DB9DF1154.webp
since I took this photo, I’ve also added some more towels and fleeces over sections of their cages, as they love to relax under the covered areas :)

Back