New aggression. New tray?

Autonerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all -- Been a while since I've posted because all has been well in guinea-pig land.

However, the last couple of days I've seen an uptick in dominance behavior. (I have two boys in a C&C cage. Not sure of their age but they're at least two years old.) Oreo has been incessantly climbing on Twinkie, mostly in the hide (a blanket over 1/4 of the cage) but sometimes out. Lots of high-pitched chirping and some chasing. I have't seen Twinkie fighting back too severely. In the past, we've heard the occasional scuffle, but these last few days it's been significantly more frequent. I'm not seeing food aggression (they each eat their own when I feed veggies) and no blocking of the pellet bowl or water bottle.

I have tried swapping in new hides and playthings (used to do this regularly but got a bit lax) in the hopes this was a boredom issue, but it didn't change things.

I did try a quick separation with a piece of coroplast dividing the cage, but this seemed to cause lots of agitation -- they ran around and did their best to push the barrier out of the way (Twinkie actually succeeded and they wound up on opposite sides of the cage, which was rather funny). I removed it after a few minutes.

I read the FAQs and found that a new cage element can cause such issues. I keep a single plastic tray in the hide end for them to poop in, and a couple of days ago, in an effort to make clean-up a little easier, I added a second tray to the hide area, effectively covering the other half of the floor. Other than that, there have been no major changes to the cage or life around our apartment.

After reading the FAQs, I began to wonder if the new tray could be the issue. Most of the humping did seem to start inside the hide area.

I removed the tray but it's a little early to tell if their behavior has changed. Could this have caused the problem -- effectively creating new territory in the hide?

If not -- what are the possible solutions? The cage meets size guidelines for two males (just) but we don't have space in our apartment to make it any larger. (For those to whom I haven't talked -- we got these guys from a family that bought them during the pandemic then got bored, so we're newbies doing the best we can.)

I've also got some new small soft hides and toys on the way (which I'll add in pairs).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Aaron

Update: Listening to the guinea pig noise page, we are hearing the stressed-pig noises (though they sound a lot like the hungry-pig noises...)

I think with boars you need to stop moving everything around and stop including new things into their cage. Boars like stability and any charges made can lead to dominance Issues. When you clean them out always keep a bit of dirty hay to place back in their cage, it keeps their cage smelling of them so keeps them calm.
If you introduce new hides etc, rub these with dirty hay first before putting them in, change upsets some boar pairs, try keep things as low a key as possible especially while they are unsettled

I think with boars you need to stop moving everything around and stop including new things into their cage. Boars like stability and any charges made can lead to dominance Issues. When you clean them out always keep a bit of dirty hay to place back in their cage, it keeps their cage smelling of them so keeps them calm.
If you introduce new hides etc, rub these with dirty hay first before putting them in, change upsets some boar pairs, try keep things as low a key as possible especially while they are unsettled
I can agree with above, my boars were kicking off as I put a step stool in their enclosure and it caused riots, I’ve removed it and all peaceful again, I couldn’t figure out why they were bickering but obviously it was claiming ownership of the step stool. Harmony again, good luck 🤞

Thx guys -- but what about boredom setting in? Isn't a little change a good thing?

PS, since the new tray is gone, there seems to be peace in the valley!

Aaron

Piggies don’t get bored, give them piles of hay to rummage in, that’s the type of boredom breakers that piggies love. Piggies spend most of the day eating or sleeping. A hay pile is their type of fun! 😊
Glad harmony is restored

:agr:

Big piles of loose hay in the cage to play in plus having a piggy friend and they definitely wont be bored.
Changing items and consequently territories for boars has the potential to cause problems so best to keep their environment the same. It doesn’t affect all boars to the same extent, my two now are four years old and aren’t bothered if I put something in the wrong place etc but if did upset them when they were younger

OK, thanks, all. We started with regular changes (new toys, changing hides, etc) pretty early on so that may be why those little things never caused problems before... just the big change in the hide. (Peace continues to rule, by the way.)

Amazing, I had no idea such a little change could cause such a big fuss!

And yes -- lots of hay. Lots and lots and lots and lots of hay. We're lucky to have horses and therefore a place to store bales, so we have plenty and replenish the pile throughout the day. And yes, they seem to love going under it as much as going through it! We actually get popcorning with fresh hay. Wish I was that easy to amuse.

Thx again --
Aaron

Good to hear it’s settling down again since the tray was removed. It’s amazing how one small change can upset the apple cart. Even sows can get territorial if there’s a change to their cage arrangements - I’ve seen it in my own and had to remove an offending house or hidey.

Back