New adopted piggies, when to bond with my current pair? Any tips appreciated!

Babble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently, my solo elder piggy passed last week leaving behind a cage that couldn't be left empty, so i decided to adopt 2 new piggies today in hopes to give them a better life than they had before! Their names are Hermione & Ginny (I hope to get some pictures to share soon!) They are all female and are around 1 and my other pair of sows are around 2, which i heard that younger sows tend to get accepted/bond easier? I would love to bond them with my current pair of sows so their cages can be merged into a 2x6, but i'm unsure if i should wait for them to settle into their new environment or attempt to bond them in the first few days? (They have chewed the bars at my other girls, but only a few times at the moment.)
Here is the current setup for them:
20240519_174356.webp I'd like to mention that this is my first time attempting to bond guinea pigs! I would love any little tips to help this go as smoothly as i can make it! <3

Good on you for giving these little ladies a forever home. I would give them a few days to settle in and get used to the neighbours. this will give you time to prepare and read through the bonding guides and what to expect behaviour wise. you can never guess if it will work out, it’s all down to personalities. Good luck, I hope they bond with your girls

Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

Please do wait for now. It is best to let the new arrivals settle in while living side by side with your current pair for a while. They will get to know your two sows before the stress of bonding day. You don’t want to try bonding too soon as stresses of moving home can cause them to overreact and cause issues before things even really start.

Behaviours between the bars don’t indicate much as to their ability to bond - some behaviours are simply territory marking.

Do the two new girls come from a reputable rescue centre? If not, then it is best where possible to quarantine the two new girls in a separate room for two weeks. Then after those two weeks, move them to be beside your two original girls for another few days/week or so and then attempt bonding on neutral territory after that.
If they are from a rescue then quarantine isn’t necessary so they can go straight beside your original piggies for a few days/week or so before attempting bonding.

This is our bonding guide - Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
It explains everything about how to carry out a bonding and the behaviours you can expect to see/what you don’t want to see.

The key is that the bonding is carried out somewhere totally neutral, never inside the cage of either set of piggies.

Back