New addition to two sows

Sesity

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. We recently moved house and are really lucky to have an 8ft X 6ft shed for our two girlies which they are currently in (along with a 5ft bluebell pets at home hutch which is permanently open). I've just made an outdoor 36 square ft run for them to use in the warmer weather and want to take the opportunity of this new territory to add a sow or two.
Our girls are two years old, would adding one new sow or two be best for them? I originally planned to add just one, but if the bonding/herd dynamics are better for them as a foursome I'd rather do that.

This guide explains what does and doesn’t work when adding to existing piggies

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Any bond comes down to character compatibility so the best way to add piggies is to take them dating at a rescue centre so they can choose their own new friends.
If you just go and get new piggies yourself then you do need to plan for the fact that the bonding may fail and in that case you would have to split your shed, hutch and run in half and have two separate pairs.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi all. We recently moved house and are really lucky to have an 8ft X 6ft shed for our two girlies which they are currently in (along with a 5ft bluebell pets at home hutch which is permanently open). I've just made an outdoor 36 square ft run for them to use in the warmer weather and want to take the opportunity of this new territory to add a sow or two.

Our girls are two years old, would adding one new sow or two be best for them? I originally planned to add just one, but if the bonding/herd dynamics are better for them as a foursome I'd rather do that.

As for the actual bonding, would it be best to place them all into the new run and use that? Or would a smaller area like the bath be best?

I’ve answered the first part on your other thread.

The second question about the actual bonding -

It needs to be somewhere your current piggies do not see as part of their territory, so if they are used to be in the run and see if as part of their space (ie if it’s joined to the shed and they have free access), then you cannot use it for the bonding pen.
A bath would most likely be too small for four piggies to be bonded in - the whole bathroom floor would be better

A totally separate run which they don’t have constant access to and is moved around the lawn for example, could be used as the bonding pen

Thank you for the advice, I thought I'd deleted the other thread 🙈.
They haven't been in the new run yet, keeping it 'fresh' 😂 so I'll use that for bonding. I am able to split everything if necessary, with each half being big enough for a pair.

It’s taken me a while to work out that adding in an extra one is a bit of a risk. My oldest sow is much happier, now the ‘next in line’ has passed away. She hated feeling dominated by the more aggressive younger sow, and is much more content with the youngest one who is calmer and gentle. If you can find a rescue to match make, it might be your best option.

Hi and welcome

You can best consider either a neutered boar for a trio or two younger sows that cannot challenge the existing hierarchy or a younger bonded mixed gender pair. A quartet would however need 2x6 ft minimal ground space.

Ideally, you want to date your girls at one of our recommended rescues which offer this service to make sure that they get on before you bring them home; otherwise you'll need a plan B at the ready in case the bonding fails.
There are currently so many dumped/unwanted boars stuck in rescue due to the post-pandemic return to normal life and now the money crunch; if you can adopt one of them, please consider doing so! You'll get the best of both genders (boars are usually greater in terms of personality than sows) in addition to a very stable situation once the bonding has been successful.
Hazelcroft Guinea Pig in St Albans or Heathland in Royston should be within reach of you. Woodgreen in Godmanchester is a little further.

Here is more information on what to consider:
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Guinea Pig Forum recommended rescues

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed) (the mixed pairs chapter largely also works for a two sows and neutered 'husboar' combo, provided your sows are getting on well)

All about the ca. 2 weeks bonding/full group establishment and settling in process: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All the best!

Yes, a neutered boar adds a lovely dimension to your group. If you can take them to be bonded at a rescue then do try a neutered boar, they are so daft and funny

Back