New Addition To The Family

Kidkay17

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Ive had my 2 guinea pigs (cocoa bean and meatball) for almost a month now and they've been getting along great, they popcorn often :) and yesterday I decided to add another piggie to the family (daisy) she's a long haired guinea. I have her in a seperate living space for now, but i put them in a neutral space to bond, and they didnt fight much at all. Daisy actually seems to be a little antisocial and nervous as she just hid in the xorner most of the . But she engaged cocoa and meatball first and sniffed them out and everything, i think i even heard putting. But then cocoa bean started nibbling on her fur and then at daisys mouth, which she didn't like very much. But over all there was very little fighting. I'm nervous about putting her in their living space because shes much smaller and I dont want them to pick on her but I'm not sure if she likes being around them or not?

Sorry about all the grammar errors, i meant to say she hid in the corner most of the time. And then that i think I even heard purring.

So Ive had my 2 guinea pigs (cocoa bean and meatball) for almost a month now and they've been getting along great, they popcorn often :) and yesterday I decided to add another piggie to the family (daisy) she's a long haired guinea. I have her in a seperate living space for now, but i put them in a neutral space to bond, and they didnt fight much at all. Daisy actually seems to be a little antisocial and nervous as she just hid in the xorner most of the . But she engaged cocoa and meatball first and sniffed them out and everything, i think i even heard putting. But then cocoa bean started nibbling on her fur and then at daisys mouth, which she didn't like very much. But over all there was very little fighting. I'm nervous about putting her in their living space because shes much smaller and I dont want them to pick on her but I'm not sure if she likes being around them or not?

The signs you mention are all in the mild and friendly dominance area. Please take the time to read our detailed guide. It tells you step by step what to look out for and what to do at each stage of the bonding process, including when to to move to the cage, how to prepare it etc.
Make sure that you clean the cage and remove any hideys with just one entrance. Also get three bowls, which you space at least a body length apart, so your little girl cannot be prevented from eating. Feed veg and pellets in small portions that can be eaten in one sitting and remove the bowls in the meantime. Unlimited hay should make around 80% of the daily food intake anyway. Make sure that acess cannot be blocked and ideally offer it in two places.
With youngsters, the dominance phase is generally quite strong, but relatively short as they are emphatically pushed to the bottom of the hierarchy. You have to sit this phase out as hard as that is. The dominance phase is integral to establishing a working hierarchy and structure to the social group, which is at the heart of guinea pig life.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Ok thank you, I'm still learning how to give my piggies the best life possible and everything helps :) it's very hard to let them be, especially since they're my babies

Ok thank you, I'm still learning how to give my piggies the best life possible and everything helps :) it's very hard to let them be, especially since they're my babies

Withstanding the urge to interfere unless absolutely necessary is the biggest challenge when bonding! I have written the guide to help you understand the social dynamics so you are less apprehensive and less tempted to meddle if things go in the right way, and you know what to expect in the coming days.

Withstanding the urge to interfere unless absolutely necessary is the biggest challenge when bonding! I have written the guide to help you understand the social dynamics so you are less apprehensive and less tempted to meddle if things go in the right way, and you know what to expect in the coming days.

I've read through your guide and found it to be extremely helpful but one thing that still confuses me is the biting. When daisy was in the corner being sniffed out by my other two piggies, one of them started to nibble at her fur and then at her lips, and daisy didn't seem to like it but cocoa kept doing it anyway and daisy looked too nervous to run. But there weren't cries of pain?

I've read through your guide and found it to be extremely helpful but one thing that still confuses me is the biting. When daisy was in the corner being sniffed out by my other two piggies, one of them started to nibble at her fur and then at her lips, and daisy didn't seem to like it but cocoa kept doing it anyway and daisy looked too nervous to run. But there weren't cries of pain?

It is called barbering and is basically social behaviour gone overboard; when bonding, there can also be a dominance component mixed in. However, it is not a hostile gesture and it is something that an underpiggy may protest, but it will not pull out.
Barbering ( Eating Hair)

Back