• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

neutering

• Thread starter Thread starter maisydaisystar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

Hi all,
Just curious to those of you with neutered boars, how long you left it after the op before introducing the sow, with star i was told 4 weeks but i have also read that it's 3 weeks.

You can put boars with sows at three weeks but like most guinea pig owners wait another one or two weeks just to be on the safe side. O0

Hi had one of my male pigs "done" so he could be put in with some girls. Really pleased because he healed well and it didn't change his character which i was worried about.

Put him in with girls after 10 days! Took a bit of a risk because 3 weeks is the advice to make sure they are infertile but all ok and he is very happy.

Hi all I am interested in this subject as I am getting a boar named digby from the rspca he is 3 1/2 and I have asked for him to be "done" do you think this is a good idea at his age I am hoping to put him in with my girls. Oh by the way they recommend waiting 4 weeks before introducing him to my girls.

dazie♥ said:
Hi all I am interested in this subject as I am getting a boar named digby from the rspca he is 3 1/2 and I have asked for him to be "done" do you think this is a good idea at his age I am hoping to put him in with my girls. Oh by the way they recommend waiting 4 weeks before introducing him to my girls.

Three and a half years old is getting on a bit but providing he is healthy and of a good weight the operation should go fine. There are risk as after all it is an operation and those risk do increase with age, but if you want him I done I would get him done ASAP.

Cheers for that they are going to "do" him for me one lady was saying it would be fine the other lady was saying its a hard operation and they dont normally do it so it would be more expensive. I have to have a home check etc first but hopefully that will go ok I would ahte to bump the little thing off as he is a happy fella!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back