• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

neutering

• Thread starter Thread starter katblack77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katblack77

Hi all,

Anybody ever had any bad experiences with neutering their boars.Such as them not making it throught the op or infections and the like.cheers.

I'm saving to get my boar and any boars from cindys litter neautered... as with any operation there is a posibility they wont make it... not sure what percent it is with pigs... I'm not too experienced but there are many on the forum who have succesfully neautered their pigs :)

Both of mine developed abscesses, 3 + 4 days after the op, and had to spend 3 weeks at the rodentologists having golf ball sized abscesses drained every other day, having a rather strong course of antibiotics, and being generally nursed back to health. From what I have been told this occurs quite often when the fat pad has been left in instead of being removed with the testicles.

Guineas seem to be so prone to abscesses after surgery - Scarby had all this after his CA liver.

If you can, ask for Isoflurane for the anaesthetic. It is very good with a quick recovery and is used routinely on humans. Scarby woke up fine with it. :)

one of ours chewed his stitches inside and out while he was at the vets so they had to put him under again to put them back in,he had a heart attack halfway thru and died >:( >:(
sooooo now we've changed vets

:'( how sad! can you get those huge funnel things to put over piggies heads so that doesnt happen? how cute woud that be ;D

I had my boar done and he was fine they used glue instead of stitches. A lot of vets say yes we can do it but have only ever done one when at uni. I have two friends who are vets and both would not do my boar for me. Its not as straight forward as a dog or cat. Just make sure you are 110% sure your vet has done plenty of guinea neuters ask him to put you in touch with someone who has had thiers done by him.

Yup mine done at the same place as Pumpkinpiggie. I think if you are around our area (Nottingham) go to Davisons vets Ilkeston rd - they've done 4 sucessfully recently so will be using them in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back