• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering

• Thread starter Thread starter piglover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piglover

I just wanted to get this of my chest!

At the risk of being barraged by replies can I just say in light of what poor Baby Wilson has suffered with poor little Angus I really do not see the point of putting piggies through unecessary operations, i.e., neutering. There are always other options, I know she tried and failed to pair him up with another boy, but they can live side by side too. I know loads of you have had boys neutered very successfully - thank goodness, but the fact that neutering does not calm them down sexually and only enables them to live with a woman - surely it is an enormous risk? Now poor BW has no piggy to pair up or live side by side with another............

Ayway I've had my say, sorry if I have offended anybody but I just wanted to air my thoughts and once again send my condolences to Baby Wilson - so sad......

It's ok to have your point of view,but you could have waiting a few days ! Baby wilson has enough to deal with without this! Yes its VERY sad to lose a pet like this,but it is a chance you take with ANY surgery!Some people do not have the space to separate their guinea pigs!My Boris was neutered so he could live with his sisters,i have no space to home them separated!

I have 4 boys in 3 cages and live in a studio flat, hardly have space myself!

Thats the point of a forum - points of view, I was sensitive in my text!

Yes there is a chance in ANY surgery - that IS NECESSARY

See! Should've kept my mouth shut!!

no but you could have posted it tomorrow! points of view are valued whether we agree or not! This would be a very boring forum if everyone had the same ideas & points of views!

Piglover - I'm sorry to say that i agree with Gaile. We already blame ourselves when a pet passes away and insensitive comments like your own really arent needed in times of grief.

I know Gaile, i completely agree with you that the comment shouldnt have been said, or she should have at least waited and voiced an opinion at a later time.

Oh well, I did say at the beginning "at the risk of being "shot down" and I was!
Of course I'm not insensitive, I've lost piggies myself! I just thought it may have been a general topic for discussion - obvioulsy not, so with our opinions quite clearly out, better to just ignore this now then and I shall revert to just reading and NOT posting.

Luckily I have had PM's in support of my post too.

Thanks anyway.......

Dont be ridiculous! You werent shot down, you were disagreed with and i said that i thought your post was a bit insensitive. MY OPINION, like you had yours.

I'm not saying you are insensitive, i said your post was insensitive towards baby-wilson who's bound to be feeling bad at losing her piggy without peoples posts making it worse. I'm sure she'd rather be receiving support from people right now, now suggestions of blame etc.

If you decide to not post anymore, then that is your loss, but its a bit pathetic just because someone disagreed with you and told you so.

I am locking this thread as it seems to be getting very heated already and it is perhaps not the best time for this kind of discussion.

Please PM me if there are any queries.

Kate

Please keep calm ladies,this forum is for open,friendly discussion.,and everyone has the right to an opinion.

It is very distressing to lose a piggy under any circumstances,and Baby Wilson is very upset at the moment.My heart goes out to her,and I do feel that Piglovers message was a bit premature.

However,I do back Piglover 100% because I have never agreed with neutering,because as Sue says,it is putting a healthy animal through the risks of surgery.I accept that in a few circumstances it may be the only way in which an owner can continue to keep a beloved boar,but so many people seem to think neutering is the easy answer to accomodation problems.

I have 4 boars living in 4 single pens because they will not live with another boar without fighting.I could do with the extra space but I will not put their lives at risk.

O.k. I suppose the majority of neuters carried out by experienced vets are trouble free,but for the minority of pigs and their owners who have a tragic outcome., the risk was not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back