• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering was yest- worried about poss incontinence? please help!

• Thread starter Thread starter midlandsfairy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

midlandsfairy

Hi,

As some of you know, Rocky was booked into the vet yesteday for the neutering. He came around okay, and they let me take him at 4pm after he'd been nibbling on his food. but boy has it been a stressful night! :'(

it seems to be a similar issue to that which chloe posted about... but i don't know if its a common side effect, she also mentioned an operation but I don't know if her girl had a general anasthetic. Last night rocky wasn't doing any poos but his whole back end was wet, with an amonia smell, so i'm guessing it was wee. I put down a little pad of kitchen roll for him to lie on (he's on towels) and checked the wound which wasn't bleeding or weeping and seemed fine. But he seems to be totally incontinent?! I stayed up with him til late last night (well early this morning!) and he nibbled on 3 peices of little gem, 2 slices of cucumber and one piece of carrott. Can you tell that i was anxious if i was keeping count? :-\ his normal curly kale wouldn't tempt him, nor would spinach leaves. My partner checked at 4am and he said that he was just chewing on his cardboard tube and munching hay.

This morning I got him up out of his pigloo and he seems relativly bright. He's done some poops, which are soft and some are quite irregular in shape (i.e. some are small and roundish, others are longer but very thin) but the pad that I left him with at 1.30am this morning, was so wet this morning at 7am that i could have wrung it out and got liquid out :'( his back end isn't soaking as it was last night but is still damp to wet. again the wound and stiches etc are still looking okay.

Basically, I'm just not sure if i'm panicking over nothing! Does this sound like normal after effects of an anasthetic? He was given painkillers and antibiotics when he left the vet yesterday and he's due back on thurs for his check up. he's quite quiet- as I expected- and is wanting to stay tucked away although sat on my lap for about an hour last night when i picked him up.

Please help!

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

Have a look at this http://www.guinealynx.com/postop.html

I have no experience but thought you could look here before someone can come on and advise you. Also if he has runny poop I would lay off veggies and just give dried and hay until it returns to normal.

Hope Rocky is ok!

Louise
x

Thank you for your reply Louise, I'm just reading the page now. Its making me feel a little better I have to admit! Thanks for your advice with the food, will text the other half who's on piggy duty whilst I'm at work this am and tell him to just put out the hay and dried food not veggies. I was just desperate for him to eat something, i hope I havn't made it worse!

Lucy

I'm sure he will be fine, if he is bright that is a wonderful sign. :)

This is not a normal reaction to aneasthetic.If the wetness continues,it might be advisable to ring the vet.I have never had a pig nuetered so cannot advise very much.It is possible that neutering does affect the bladder post op,but I have not heard of this complication before.

Get plenty of fluid into him,a rehydration fluid could be given little and often over 24 hours.Encourage him to eat dried grass and hay.Hold back on green veggies but give a little carrot ,corn or other non green veg he likes.

It is normal for this to happen and does take some time for poos to be normal again. If they suddendly change as in being really soft as in diarhoea ring the vet or try some siocalm which you can get from the chemist if you give him a quarter of a tablet diluted with water he should be fine

It is a stressful thing he has been through so dont worry I'm sure he will be fine

Sorry for replying late, i don't have access to the internet over weekends. Well we took rocky back on tuesday, they checked him over and told us to keep an eye on him. They gave him a painkilling injection and he seemed to be dryer than before and eating a bit more. He went back for his post op check on thurs, by then he was probably up to 70% of his pre-op food and 70% of the number of poops i would expect. The post op check went well, they said the stictches are healing really well and they just cleaned him up a bit.

He doesn't seem quite his normal self in that he's not sqeaking as much as he used to but other than that he seems fine- eating as much as normal, coming up to see us, drinking, poos are back to normal and just as many as ever! Just quieter than before but it was only 6 days ago i guess so he's allowed to be a little quiet!

Lucy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back