• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering, questions to ask the vet...

• Thread starter Thread starter TheGaffer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGaffer

We are considering getting Gus neutured, he's 4 months old now.

What age is recommended for neuturing, is it 6 months?

What should I ask my vet? apart from how many guinea pig neuters have you done?

Is there anything else specifically that I should ask?

We're only considering neutering as an option because Gus currently lives with Bailey who's nearly 7 years old. And recently they seem to be having minor disagreements and I'm concerned that if they fight we'd have to separate them. We've tried to do everthing we can to avoid disagreements, they have 2 hay holders, 2 water bottles and 2 food bowls and 3 hidey places.

Gus's testicles have descended, I've just noticed tonight :D

So if we had to separate I'd want to pair Gus with a girl. Unfortunately Bailey is far too old to risk getting him neutered, so he'd be on his own, but I'm sure we could arrange things so that he could see Gus through some mesh or something, so he wouldn't be completely alone. They also get loads of attention and lap time cos their in our living room.

Thanks,

Ask the vet what aneasthetic he uses. Isofluerine is the one of choice.

Please consider very carefully if nuetering is the answer.,neutered boars are prone to prolapse.

I have had this problem with boars fighting, and if I cannot find another boar that they will pair with,I seperate them with a wire fence.

Have a look at Barmy 4 Boars website,there is some very good info.about pairing boars.

to be honest if sepeartion can occur, id go for that option over having him neutered..small animals dont always cope well with anaesthetic, like maryh said they can prolapse.

or put up a wire grid between them and see how you get on.

i agree if you can avoid any operation for guinea pigs then do that instead. I have had bad experiences with piggies going under......

me too, they go downhill very quickly, and if you dont HAVE to put him through it dont.

Definately, don't have him done if you don't have to, try the other options first. I have 4 boys in 3 cages and everyone is happy with their own floor time / quality time etc. As others have said any unecessary operation is a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back