• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering booked- advice for aftercare?

• Thread starter Thread starter midlandsfairy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

midlandsfairy

Well, Rocky is booked into the vets for Monday for his neutering so that he can find a girlfriend! (Thanks Jill!) eek! I'm a bit nervous so want to make sure that i'm prepared for when he comes out to look after him

Do I need to do anything special? Will his normal hay be okay for him to lie on? I'm sure I read somewhere a while ago about someone switching to towels, not bedding for a couple of days afterwards

Any help would be appreciated!

Lucy

None of mine have ever had an op so not too sure on the aftercare but I would probably switch to towel, fleece or vet bed for a few days. It makes it easier to check if there is any bleeding or weeping of the wound.

Good luck Rocky!

towels or vet bed may be better for him and he would feel more comfortable, just keep an extra eye on him and keep the wound clean and he will be fine

when Sammy came home he just sat sulked for a few hours and then got tempted by the cucumber and special treats id left for him, I'm sure he will be fine

I've had 2 boars nuetered and both were perfectly fine! They were back to their normal selves within hours!

I wouldnt recommend letting him lie on shavings or hay for a few weeks. It might get stuck in his sore bits! If you dont have vetbed or fleece, you can use old towels for a few days. Put hay in a hay rack.

I hope everything goes OK, and that he enjoys having a new girlfriend!

ooh one other point when you use the vet bed or towels change them at least once a day

The vet should give you after care advice too but if your still not sure just ask

I used light coloured towels sheets and fleece for the whole time he was in and hay was in a hay rack so didnt get stuck or irritate his wound. Light coloured towels so I could keep an eye on wee and discharge if any ( there wasnt ) if you let him run around on the floor make sure you keep a eye on him and make sure there isnt anything he can catch his bits on. Make sure you have his fav veggies waiting at home too and plenty of water ;) And Digby was on Baytril for a couple of days after and they didnt give me any prebiotic which is quite important if they are put on antibiotics.

dazie said:
I used light coloured towels sheets and fleece for the whole time he was in and hay was in a hay rack so didnt get stuck or irritate his wound. Light coloured towels so I could keep an eye on wee and discharge if any ( there wasnt ) if you let him run around on the floor make sure you keep a eye on him and make sure there isnt anything he can catch his bits on. Make sure you have his fav veggies waiting at home too and plenty of water ;) And Digby was on Baytril for a couple of days after and they didnt give me any prebiotic which is quite important if they are put on antibiotics.

I did the same changing the towels twice a day for Rimmer. I am booking Oakley in soon for his neuter too.

I keep recently neutered boys on fleece for at least a week after they have been castrated often longer as one if the boys I had done went back onto hay too early (after advice from vet as he was healing well) he managed to pop a stitch and his wound got infected I change the fleece twice a day and keep the cage as clean as possible. Ask your vet to glue the wound if possible as some types of stitches can irritate the guinea pigs if the incorrect suture material is used. If the area becomes lumpy at all take them straight back to the vets for a course of baytril or similar and give a probiotic to help their digestion, bathe the area with warm salt water to keep it clean and any infections should clear up well. Also check that they remove the fat pads as well as the testicles as some vets pop the fat pads back in which can cause infection.
All that said most neuters do go well he will need to be inside after the anesthsetic as they can't regulate their body temperature and I personally like to keep them indoors until they are fully recovered just so I can keep a close eye on them. Having our first boy done resulted in an infection and regular clearing out of the wounds (the smell of which is something I will not be forgetting!), The two boys we have had done recently are doing well Marble is healing up beautifully, Jumbo developed a sllight reaction and is on antibiotics but doing well, like people each guinea will react differently. Good luck to your boy fingers croseed all goes well even if they do have a problem our vets have never lost a guinea through anesthetic or complications and they do a lot of neutering!

Ooh gosh I am nervous now. :-\ Okay so hay in a rack not on the ground, towels changed once a day (need to find some old towels now! might cut up an old clean bedsheet), keep an eye out for any infection, and check the vet is taking fat pads as well.

this is going to sound really silly and i'm sure its a stupid question- but will I be able to tell straight away by looking at his bits if he does develop an infection? Our Rocky loves being stroked and having treats while sitting on my lap but doesn't like being actually 'held' so I'd prefer to poke and prod as little as possible!

Am really concerned about the infection now but hopefully he'll be fine, he's a robust lad

thank you everyone for replying, I do feel better prepared now!

Lucy

You just look for signs of swelling and you will know beleive me !

dont worry if it happens they are easyto deal with thats why its important to check them

When my Boris was neutered he lived in the shed in a cage,with soft hay and was fine,i must be too harsh.I didn't think about using towels,maybe i was just lucky! good luck though any op is nerve recking!

I would use Vetbed if you can, it keeps them drier :)

I take in a post op meal for them. labelled 'post op' and some pre op foodtoo. Make sure the nurses know that he will need syringe feeding if he doesn't eat within a couple of hours ( Oxbow Critical Care is best imo because it doesn't contain alfalfa).

Ours have Rimadyl (painkiller) pre op so they are comfortable when they come round :)

If they prefer to eat their hay off the ground as opposed to rack (mine do ::) ) then stuff a toilet tube with hay :)

Keep feeling the area afterwards in case of an abscess- they do happen but are easy to deal with.

Make sure your vet uses the 'closed method'.

Good luck, I have 4 being done in a fortnights time ::)

Oh thanks, thats a good idea, i hadn't thought about taking in some of his own food. d'oh!

Will also ask about the closed method when i take him in.

Good luck with your 4 Karen, although it sounds like you're an old hand with it now!

Lucy

I have not had any of mine neutered but all the best for you and your piggy and let us know how it all goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back