• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering Boars Good Or Bad.

• Thread starter Thread starter Cavy Crazy
  • Start date Start date

Do you think neutering boars is good or bad? What happened to your boar after you neutered him?

• Ever since neutering my boar(s) he has/ they have had a few health problems.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My boar(s) fell ill after neutering, but I have had no problems ever since.

• I have had no problems after neutering my boar(s).

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavy Crazy

Hi, I have two boars that have both been neutered. Ever since they have been neutered I have had quite a few problems with them, including but not restricted to weight lose, change in personality and impaction. Have you had same or similar problems? Have you had problems? If so what kinds?

I've had nearly 50 boars castrated and no problems except for one boy that got post castrate abcesses but that was easily dealt with :) I've had impacvted boars but can't relate it to castration, probably age. No personality change, but they were adult and had developed their character. Got 2 more going next wheek... :)

Personally I am very against neutering boars. I don't believe in putting my animals through an unnecessary operation as all operations carry some risk. I did have a neutered boar, dear Tigger who sadly went to the bridge a couple of weeks ago. He was already neutered when I got him so I have no idea of his personality before neutering. However, he was a very quiet, unassuming little man. Very different from my other boars.

All my boars are paired with another boar and get on really well. :)

i had star neutered because p@h got the sex wrong supposed to of got 3 sows, I wanted star to live with the girls so we had him neutered. He was a cheeky thing before the op and it didn't change him in any way at all. Exactly the same,
I got Charlie from the Rspca and they neutered him for me so he can go in with toffee. No problems with him either.

So far Digby has been fine after his op I really think this was the best option for him as he is older and he needs some pampering from girly piggies! I was concerned for him and I did find out he was really stressed and had a nose bleed :'( but he is fine now and I hope he will continue to be :)

karenrgpr said:
I've had nearly 50 boars castrated and no problems except for one boy that got post castrate abcesses but that was easily dealt with :) I've had impacvted boars but can't relate it to castration, probably age. No personality change, but they were adult and had developed their character. Got 2 more going next wheek... :)

Ditto O0

Thank you for your comments. So why have my boars gone bad after being neutered? When I got them done I had total trust in my vets but have lost it after my boars have gone bad, among other things. :tickedoff: :)

Bart was neutered when I got him. He is cleaner than any boar I've had before, is older and shows no signs of impaction. He is also insanely happy in his world of 4 girlfriends. I can't see any difference in his behaviour when compared to an entire male.

I wouldn't do it routinely but if a single boar can't be paired off with another male then neutering is a good option for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back