Neutered male constantly rumble strutting

D

Deleted member 149339

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping for a bit of advice. 3 months ago I introduced a neutered boar to my herd of 3 sows. If I’m being honest, I don’t think I introduced them very well; i used the split cage method for around 2 weeks and then let them meet each other in a large neutral playpen. However, they were only in the pen for 2 hours before moving into the enclosure together. Since then, the boar will not stop rumble strutting, literally all the time except when he’s sleeping and I’m worried he’s stressing out the girls, especially the littlest piggy. I haven’t noticed any serious aggression but occasionally he mounts the girls. Surely the rumble strutting should have lessened by now. Do you think this means the bonding has failed and I should separate them, or is this normal? Any advice would be appreciated💕
Leah x

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping for a bit of advice. 3 months ago I introduced a neutered boar to my herd of 3 sows. If I’m being honest, I don’t think I introduced them very well; i used the split cage method for around 2 weeks and then let them meet each other in a large neutral playpen. However, they were only in the pen for 2 hours before moving into the enclosure together. Since then, the boar will not stop rumble strutting, literally all the time except when he’s sleeping and I’m worried he’s stressing out the girls, especially the littlest piggy. I haven’t noticed any serious aggression but occasionally he mounts the girls. Surely the rumble strutting should have lessened by now. Do you think this means the bonding has failed and I should separate them, or is this normal? Any advice would be appreciated💕
Leah x

Hi and welcome

Welcome to the world of neutered boars! They are either what I call 'rumble-singers', constantly wooing the ladies, or - usually if they are more dominant, 'mountaineers' to assure his dominance with lower ranked sows or mate sexually at the very end of season, which happens about every two weeks.

There is often a time in a neutered boar's life where everything that comes out other than as a food wheek is a rumble. Things will however eventually normalise some months down the line.

But what you are witnessing is perfectly normal behaviour and just what you want to see in a well bonded mixed gender pair or group. Please be aware that the introduction is followed by a ca. two weeks period in which the hierarchical group is fully establishing (or re-establishing itself) in their territory. During this time, you will see increased dominance although it should get milder after the first days and gradually peter out.

However, in mixed gender groups with a new boar, you have to brace for plenty of drama during the first seasons. The shared emotional excess and the high output of pheromones serves to bond the group together much more closely with their chosen boar. I have added a link to some videos that document one such strong season for you to brace for.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (includes a chapter on seasons)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos) (the videos are from a mixed gender group)

Hi and welcome

Welcome to the world of neutered boars! They are either what I call 'rumble-singers', constantly wooing the ladies, or - usually if they are more dominant, 'mountaineers' to assure his dominance with lower ranked sows or mate sexually at the very end of season, which happens about every two weeks.

There is often a time in a neutered boar's life where everything that comes out other than as a food wheek is a rumble. Things will however eventually normalise some months down the line.

But what you are witnessing is perfectly normal behaviour and just what you want to see in a well bonded mixed gender pair or group. Please be aware that the introduction is followed by a ca. two weeks period in which the hierarchical group is fully establishing (or re-establishing itself) in their territory. During this time, you will see increased dominance although it should get milder after the first days and gradually peter out.

However, in mixed gender groups with a new boar, you have to brace for plenty of drama during the first seasons. The shared emotional excess and the high output of pheromones serves to bond the group together much more closely with their chosen boar. I have added a link to some videos that document one such strong season for you to brace for.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (includes a chapter on seasons)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos) (the videos are from a mixed gender group)
I’m glad to hear that this is normal behaviour, thank you for your help😊

Hi everyone,
Leah x

Sounds like he’s living his best life. 🤣

Oh bless him. No one told him his plums are in a jar and so he is still dragging them around to show how manly he is. I miss that so much, Timmy my RB pig in my avatar was a champion rumblestrutter. Jenny didn’t seem to care about that but the strong season mounting would get her down sometimes and we would take them out for cuddles to give her a rest.

Thank you for your replies everyone, it’s my first time with a mixed herd so I’m glad to hear this is just neutered boar behaviour😅💕

How will the ladies know how boarly he is if he doesn't show off his rumbly bum wiggles? 😉 😂

I have to say it's one of my favourite behaviours to watch in my mixed herd! Glad you've had your mind put at ease 🙂

Micah went into hormonal overdrive when he first met his ladies.
It took about 2 weeks for him to calm down.
He is still a rumbly boar and a sow in season sends him into overdrive all over again.
Enjoy the drama - it’s better than a soap opera !

Back