Neutered Boars & Baby Sow

Annieareyouok

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I have 2 boars who are around 6 months old. They were originally together but have been separated for about a month due to “tornado” fighting. They live in a large custom built hutch which is about 7ftx3ft double level, surrounded by a large run that they have daily access to (I work from home). The hutch is separated by mesh dividers down the middle. Since separating they have been much happier but I would like them to have some company each so I am looking at getting them both neutered and a “girlfriend” for each of them. A sanctuary near me has two baby females that we could have (obviously at least 8 weeks after the neutering).
I am just wondering if neutered boar and baby sow combinations work out most of the time? I have bonded females successfully before but never with a boar introduced so I am just wanting to make sure that it is likely that they will bond. I know all piggy personalities are different but I just want what’s best for my boys!

It is very likely to work out - boar/sow pairings tend to be more stable - however any bond comes down to compatibility so nobody can ever give you 100% guarantee.

The post neuter wait to become infertile is six weeks (not at least eight).

As you say hutch, I assume you mean your boys live outside?
If so and If you were to get these babies and they live indoors currently, then we are getting to the point now of them not be able to go outside until next spring time. They would no longer have the time to acclimate to outside conditions before cold weather sets in if they are currently only used to being indoors.

Thanks so much for this advice. I really appreciate it! Yes my boys live outside, they have been for the whole time we’ve had them so are acclimatised now. If we were to get the girls (they are currently indoors) would the 6 weeks wait be too long weather wise? I would say I’d get them now and get them used to outside whilst we sort the boys out but I just don’t have the space!
As far as neutering goes, what is your experience with this. I have found a vet locally to me who says he has performed the neutering of GPs a lot and has a great interest and understanding in exotics. I know there are risks but how common are these?

Another six weeks time before the girls go outside for the first time is definitely too late - that is mid October (the time at which winter prep arrangements kicking in for permanent outdoor piggies and part time outdoor piggies will have moved back inside for winter).

It’s the night time temperatures you need to watch. Night time temperatures, in some areas, are already falling below 15 degrees so it’s already heading to being too chilly even right now for indoor-only piggies to be moved outside at night. There simply isn’t the time left even - piggies really need a whole summer outside to be ready for a winter.
Generally indoor piggies can be moved out around May/June time (once nights are warm enough) with the intention of living outside year round.

Have you spoken to the rescue where these girls are to check they will rehome to outdoor homes? Some won’t accept outdoor homes regardless of the time of year.

I have not had any of my boars neutered as I never intend on having sows. (I also keep rabbits though and have had many of them neutered and spayed (spaying being a more invasive surgery) - rabbits have to be spayed and neutered as routine for health, behaviour and bonding reasons).
It all comes down to the experience of the vet. A vet even a general vet with an interest and knowledge of guinea pigs is the key.
No surgery is risk free, abscesses etc can still happen but neutering is generally safe in the hands of an experienced vet.
Don’t forget though that if you search the forum for neuters that have had issues you are going to get a distorted view - people tend to only come here for advice if something has gone wrong but the proportion of successful neuters with no issue is much higher it’s just that we won’t get posts about them as nobody needs advice when it’s gone well!

This guide will help you further

And to add, the bonding Itself -
It would mean that they would have to come inside to be bonded given its several hours/all day in a bonding pen. You are rather unlikely to be able to put them out on grass at the time year six weeks from today.
That means that even your boys would be exposed to a large temperature change from outside to inside for bonding and then back outside again which wouldn’t be good for them either once it gets colder.

Sorry, certainly not trying to put you off doing it, it’s great that you are getting them friends - I’m just thinking of the arrangements that go into everything and the issues us outdoor owners can come up against (mine live out in my shed).
These things may be able to be overcome but it’s the fact these girls are indoor piggies with acclimatisation time which is a big hurdle now it’s September.

Back