Nervous Pig

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 151640
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 151640

I have a nervous 4 and a half year old boar, who has always been skittish and has much less obvious personality than his cage mate, but having just lost his friend yesterday I wish to spend more time with him but I really just make him uncomfortable.

He teeth chatters when i sit down next to him and speak, even when avoiding eye contact and anything too personal. He followed his friend round most of the time but was even nervous then.
I have read all the threads on getting to know a pig but was wondering what you can do with a pig you’ve had for 4 and a half years, I also had a stronger bond with his recently passed friend as I had him for longer and he had more personality making it easier to connect, but I love this wee man to bits and just want to continue to give him his social time while looking for a new age appropriate buddy.

I am also aware he may be a bit sensitive in the next coming days, which is completely fine but just wondering if anyone has any tips or similar experiences outside of the basic steps, which I will also be using to hopefully gain some more trust.

We have never had an off time from my memory where I have done anything wrong to him, which might have affected his liking to me. Whenever I am standing looking at them or giving them food and then move to leave or whatever he does get spooked so he could genuinely just be a bit scared of me.
He does know me and has been handled, not that often but definitely a couple times a week and when he is sat in a communal room and freezes with fear my voice will calm him to be able to continue nibbling on his treat.

Saying that I am sat with him right now cuddled in bed and he has just yawned and is falling asleep, so maybe I just really need to spend time getting him more comfortable, or maybe he just is a little more fearful generally speaking.

Back