Needing a cage for a holiday stay, or some other solution...

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted for a long time but now I have a concern for which I would appreciate advice. Our two piggies, Ophelia and Bianca, are used to pampered living: a large fleece-lined hutch with an attached run outside for when it is warm and dry, and a large, fleecy, C&C set-up inside, with a mini hutch (always open), for the rest of the year. For the past few years, we have had a house-sitter look after them when we are away as the boarding options near us look dire. She takes fantastic care of them.

This year, however, our house-sitter will be house-sitting at my sister's (an hour-and-a-half away) to look after my sister's two new cats. (We go on holiday with my sister and her children). Our best option for the piggies would be to leave them with the house-sitter (and cats) at my sister's house. Accidents happen, doors can be left open for a moment, so we can't leave them in an open run. We will need to invest in a large cage (not an expense I was anticipating and one which I can ill-afford).

I would be very grateful if someone could advise as to an approriate large cage? Even better, does anyone have any ideas for a half-way solution, so that we could use their mini indoors hutch (too small to shut), given they have only ever known hutch living? Might there be big grids that could be placed over the set-up? I guess I could build such a structure... but I already have so much to do!

Many thanks.

Could you get some extra C&C grids - it wouldn’t take long to build. Not free but cheaper than a cage and you could fashion a roof too. Depending on your mini hutch you might be able to connect them up so you get more space. I get mine from Amazon (Songmics).

To use the hutch you can buy more grids and use them to make a lid to the c&c area.

In terms of a commercial cage, a ferplast plaza 140 (or 160 if you wanted them to have more space) would be absolutely fine.

Mine have only ever known hutch living but come into the house during the summer into c&c and commercial cages. It doesn’t bother them provided the new cage still smells of them ie transfer soiled bedding over

You can get some songmics grids from Amazon for about £30 much cheaper than a cage. You don't have to use correx in the bottom, I used to use rubber play mats others use shower curtains. Screenshot_2024-04-06-11-40-01-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpgThis amount of grids should give plenty of options however you want to build. It comes with cable ties too. I posted the one with the narrow gaps in the grids as you mentioned cats but there are others.

Back