Need some advise

Amylang

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there I'm a New Guinea pig owner and looking for some advise, I recently got 2 sows both 2 1/2years old I got them from a lady who was fostering them for a rescue, she told me both girls had always been together and get on well, So now I’ve had them for a week and one of the girls is really giving the other a hard time she doesn’t let her out of her house if she does come out the other chases her straight back in and the little one always runs off and hides from the bigger girl anytime she’s around, there’s been nipping and drrrring too, I know their sorting out the hierarchy and there’s been no blood shed but it just seems like she’s jus constantly in her house, do I keep them together and hope this sorts itself out or do i separate them for a bit to give the other one a break? Please help
Thank you

When they move environment, they will always reestablish their relationship. So to some extent seeing dominance is normal. What isn’t normal is if it moves into bullying.

Do your hides all have two exits? If not, please do change them for ones which do. You don’t want one piggy being trapped in a hide by the other piggy as that is how defensive injuries can occur.

Ensure you weigh them both as part of routine care, but particularly the one who is being potentially bullied, keep a close eye on her weight daily to ensure she is being allowed to eat.

this guide explains further Bonds In Trouble

Thanks for your reply, the hides I have dont have 2 exits but I will definitely get some, also she is still allowed to eat even right next to the other piggie but she jus rarely allowed to walk round the cage sometimes only for a few minutes then is chased back into her house.

You can scatter feed too, pellets and veggie, to ensure that one cannot hog all the food.
Welcome to the forum and we would love to see pictures of the girls when they have settled

Back