Need some advice

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my two girls, Dolly and Pigeon aren't exactly the most loving bonded pair of sowes. They tolerate each other at best, never showing the other any affection. I don't know how typical that is for pairs.

But I do know that when Dolly (the dominate one) is in heat or it's that time of the season, she is really aggressive towards Pigeon, I also know that that is normal but it really takes a toll on my stress and sleep, as this usually happens around night time. This is happening right now, it also only lasts a day and a half but it is a rough day and a half.

I had kept Pigeon in a playpen on the ground for the time being, but after seeing her behavior I decided to put her back with Dolly, as I also know that separating them for a normal thing isn't the best idea.

So, what should I do during these times? I've kept Pigeon in a playpen before when this happened and she did nothing but stay in a hide. This time, she was all over the place, even popcorning (but I know that's also a stress response). I think I just need to put in earplugs and call it a night but is there anything else I could do? To make it easier on pigeon as she gets the brunt of Dolly's aggression?

How old are they?
How big is their space?
Do they have multiple hides each with multiple doors?

It is very normal for them not to appear affectionate - it is a myth that bonded pairs will cuddle up, most don’t - it does not mean they are only tolerating each other or that there is any issue in their bond.

When you say aggressive, what exactly do you mean, what are you seeing?
Chasing, mounting, rumbling is not aggression, it is simply normal dominance.
It may look aggressive to us, but it really isnt!

Seeing this behaviour for a day of so every couple of weeks is very normal - it is expected when they are in season.
If it is just normal dominance behaviour when in season then, when it happens, you do nothing. Just leave them to get on with it.

If there is something else going on other than normal dominance, then do tell us and we can advise further.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

How old are they?
How big is their space?
Do they have multiple hides each with multiple doors?

It is very normal for them not to appear affectionate - it is a myth that bonded pairs will cuddle up, most don’t - it does not mean they are only tolerating each other or that there is any issue in their bond.

When you say aggressive, what exactly do you mean, what are you seeing?
Chasing, mounting, rumbling is not aggression, it is simply normal dominance.
It may look aggressive to us, but it really isnt!

Seeing this behaviour for a day of so every couple of weeks is very normal - it is expected when they are in season.
If it is just normal dominance behaviour when in season then, when it happens, you do nothing. Just leave them to get on with it.

If there is something else going on other than normal dominance, then do tell us and we can advise further.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
I believe Dolly is around 2 and a half and Pigeon around 1. Their cage is very large with two 2x4s put together and they have plenty of hides.

Yes Dolly does all the usual dominant behavior, she also likes to eat Pigeons hair, as she is a long hair pig. It's just so stressful to watch, but I know I'll just have to get over it.

I believe Dolly is around 2 and a half and Pigeon around 1. Their cage is very large with two 2x4s put together and they have plenty of hides.

Yes Dolly does all the usual dominant behavior, she also likes to eat Pigeons hair, as she is a long hair pig. It's just so stressful to watch, but I know I'll just have to get over it.

I think this kind of thing is harder on us!
While it is within normal limits you do just need to leave them to it.
If things escalate at all or if she starts to behave like this all the time (ie like she is in season all the time), then a vet check is a good idea because sows can start to get ovarian cysts after about 2 years old.

Barbering has many causes.
My shorthair piggy sometimes barbers my long haired.
Barbering ( Eating Hair)

I agree with @Piggies&buns that this is normal behaviour and not aggression. From my experience it isn't really about dominance either but more a case of "courtship" behaviour. For some sows when they come into season they have a very strong desire to mate and so will seek out a partner. In the absence of a boar, if there is an other sow around who is also season one will often quite happily allow the other to mount them. My girls live in two large herds and I have seen this many many times over the years and it isn't always the case that the higher ranking (ie more dominant) sow is the one doing the mounting, I have even seen a very dominant alpha sow standing for a for a very junior, young sow. Of course if no one else is in season and the sow having a strong season contimues to pursue an other, that piggy will naturally complain a lot to try to dissuade her. It can look worse to us than it is for them but it will pass and they will both move on. Just to add, my sow herds each have a neutered boar living with them but I find that the more time that passes post neutering the less interest the boys have in mating and usually leave the girls to sort it out amoung themselves!

Back