Need Some Advice On Exercise Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I have slowly grown more accustomed to becoming a piggy parent and Sophie getting used to me there is something I wish to work on more and I need some help

I know piggies need exercise time and I'm having a problem with Sophie. Its not her though it my house. I live in a double wide trailor. We have a lot of tables, couches, electrical wires, and other things that are really not ment for a piggy. I need a way to pin her in without being over bearing in her. I was thinking of rolled up towles and AMD making a little are for her...but it would require to many towles and mother would not be happy with that. Also outside is not an option...the grass is very dry and dead at the moment due to a drought.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated :)

The grids people use for C and C cages make a fab run which if you are pushed for space fold up easily and then take up not much room at all.
x

could you maybe get a run so she could go in the garden? or you could get a dog play pen? they work great for indoors and there nice and big too

I'm thinking of the C&C cage idea. I plan on buying one for her next month so I might buy some extra grids for her. Didn't know those things existed till just yesterday lol.

No matter if a guinea pig has a big cage they still need floor time... Maybe you could try getting a dog play pen and putting it on some grass that is untreated? They really do need exercise it is very important! A piggie with a 2 by 3 C&C cage need at least 2 hours of floor time each day. Or what cage is she in now? If you have or had a pet store cage get the top off and put it in to grass, at least thats what I do...

Not ideal I know but could you build a run on your bed? I'm thinking it may need a hard base eg a plank of wood. The sides could need to be strong and attach to the base somehow (I would cut 6 slots out of the base and cut 6 groves in the 4 sides then slot them into these holes then use maybe latches where the sides join then this would all come apart and store flat until needed again :)

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 13
@My3cuteBoys I like this idea a lot. Also I think I could modify it a bit. For indoor use keep it the same. Outside use I could remove the bottom board and literally just lean the boards on each other. Just cover up the holes that are made from this :)

This is what I use I bought it at petsmart it's big. I added a couple grids to make it even bigger lol. I put a shower curtain down under the fleece sleeping bag. image.webp

definitely recommend c+c grids cable tied together. then some clips to fasten the ends. cable tied means it also folds away easily aswell. :)

I found that letting them loose on the bathroom floor with a couple of tunnels is a good way of doing floor time without worrying about wires and them getting into places they shouldn't be. If you can sit on the floor with a book or something and pretend to ignore her, it gives her the chance to run free and to come and sniff at you so she gets used to you quicker. Great way of bonding with her is to hide little veggie treats under your foot/leg and when she comes over on her own to check you out let her have it as a reward for bravery :)

Not ideal I know but could you build a run on your bed? I'm thinking it may need a hard base eg a plank of wood. The sides could need to be strong and attach to the base somehow (I would cut 6 slots out of the base and cut 6 groves in the 4 sides then slot them into these holes then use maybe latches where the sides join then this would all come apart and store flat until needed again :)
You are so clever Kell. :)

This is what I use I bought it at petsmart it's big. I added a couple grids to make it even bigger lol. I put a shower curtain down under the fleece sleeping bag. View attachment 13179
Love this as well. Should be on my shopping list soon.

definitely recommend c+c grids cable tied together. then some clips to fasten the ends. cable tied means it also folds away easily aswell. :)
I think that is the best way to go. Bother in and outdoor :)
I found that letting them loose on the bathroom floor with a couple of tunnels is a good way of doing floor time without worrying about wires and them getting into places they shouldn't be. If you can sit on the floor with a book or something and pretend to ignore her, it gives her the chance to run free and to come and sniff at you so she gets used to you quicker. Great way of bonding with her is to hide little veggie treats under your foot/leg and when she comes over on her own to check you out let her have it as a reward for bravery :)
issue is our bathrooms in the house are tiny...very cramp :(

I'll also try the food under my legs ect idea. I want to bond with her more so this should be wonderful :)

I would try to find a room or area and Piggie proof it, is you can't do that get a play pin. Good luck

I don't have the same issue as you when it comes to the home issue, (I personally live in a 6,000 sq ft home with plenty of grass in the courtyard, lol) but I would reccomend going out to a local gardening store and getting a 'Grow Your Own Wheatgrass' kit. Wheatgrass is not only reccomended for your piggie as it has many beneficial nutrients, but it is also a common forage food! My piggie Butterscotch loves wheatgrass like umpteen times more than the grass we have outside! Another tip I have is to never ever feed your cuddly cavy any grass at a park that may have been treated with insect repellant or urinated on by a dog. Both are extremely poisonous, and though it seems like common sense, so many piggies die due to it. Hope I helped! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back