• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Need Help

• Thread starter Thread starter Flowdy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flowdy

Hey i need some help... I just noticed that the hair is almost completely gone off the belly of my pig :( is this a skin condition? or could it be cos he is getting old?

thanx for any help

How old is he ?
Has he been itching ?
What bedding is he on ?
Have you changed his bedding recently to a new one ?

It may be lice or mites - If you can get a piccie of him then i or someone else could tell you what it possibly could be O0

He will be coming up to 5 years in april! as far as i know he hasnt been scratching anymore then i normally see.. should i bath him with the shampoo?

i wont be to get a pic at this moment in time

You did not say how old the piggy is?.Boars sometimes lose hair through hormonal changes,but it is mostly sows that do that.

Have a good look through the hair and see if there are any scabs or scurfy bits on him.It could be mites.,in which case you will have to go to a vet for some topical Ivermectin.

yeah it may be due to old age as he is 5 which is a good age really 0:)

you said he hasnt been scratching anymore then i normally see ? well how often does he have a scratch do you know ?

You could also email i think her name is Chrissie as her shampoo is supposed to be good for bad skin of any sorts O0 she does Gorgeous Guineas shampoo so try searching for that

I cant say for deffo how many time he straches but its not much! The skin looks really good and clean no scabs or nothing.

Flowdy said:
I cant say for deffo how many time he straches but its not much! The skin looks really good and clean no scabs or nothing.
;D I wouldnt expect you to just wandered tats all O0 cause it may be mites
what breed is he ?

Nope hes not a rex hes just a mixed breed! Could it be bordem though i get him out and play with him but he just lies there and when i go to put him back in his cage he loves it and goes crazy trying to jump in the cage.

He last his cage mate brother last June so i wonder if its lonelyness getting to him though i try to be with him all the time i can

yeah it could be ? hes on his own now though isnt he ? It may be boredom :)

Try leaving him with lots of veg and plenty of hay to eat and give him something to chew on like gnaw sticks or fiddle sticks or even toilet roll tubes ;D

Yes hes on his own at the moment!

He is one chosey pig.. he has a carrot thing made of wood he can chew but he doesnt.. and doesnt eat most veggies just lettuce, cabbage and applies hes gone off carrots but nothing wrong with his teeth.

Oh right - he is fussy mind you so are some of mine ;D

If it gets any worse like turns into scabs or sores then id go and see the vet but it may just be his bedding ?

what bedding is he housed on ?

Sometimes ive used hay..which i have since i got him.. and sometimes i get the bedding from the supermarkets which ive also used for years and had no problem

A nice Aloe Melt might make a difference :) Its conditioning. See Gorgeous Guineas :)

I would think this is just an age thing,but a bath would not hurt.Any mild herbal shampoo is o.k.,but get one with no chemicals such as parabens and sles as these are very harsh. Go to a independent health food store and have a look.There are several websites that sell good herbal shampoos.Have a browse around.

Is there any chance you could get a companion pig for him?..I think there is a chance that he is just bored and lonely.

What type of bedding is he on? I've seen pigs bed on woodshavings that end up like this. Have also seen the same with mites so I'd be tempted to get him checked out or treated with ivermectin.

He's on hay. I think some sort of treatment to eliminate 'nasties' would be good.

ok i checked on him this morning and its got worse :( hes lost quite abit of hair on one of his sides now... but still no scabs or sores and the skin still looks fine he lets you touch it so it must not be sore..i forgot to mention hes is losing loads of weight but there is nothing wrong with his teeth.

Am guessing its the age factor? will a hairless pig last long?

I'd get him to the vets...just to get him checked over,sorry I can't help more :)

I agree with Sammy that a avet visit is called for.It is possible he has liver disease,or it could just be mites,even though he has no scabs or itching.

He died :'( he died in his sleep last night. i woke up this moring and he was curled up in his house.. LAst night he was worse he was in his house not moving and barley breathing so i knew it was coming to i made him warm and comfy and let nature take its course....but it was horrible to see him like that this morning :'( he can now go run free with his brother

R.I.P little man you will be missed ALOT

I'm so very sorry. Sounds like he had something far worse than mites and as Mary suggested it could have been Liver problems.

Thinking of you and your wee man.

Louise
x

Am not sure if it was liver problems but i may be wrong, but if it was am glad he isnt suffering anymore...but am guessing it was old age and the loss of his brother

It's hard when you don't know what actually happened. But like you say at least he isn't suffering no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back