Need help with my fleeces please

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
One of my fleeces is very hard in places. I've reread A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding but can't find the problem there. I've washed it at 60 degrees with non-bio detergent, with no detergent and lined dried it twice. It's still hard in places. It's strange that it's only the one fleece out of 4 of them that are used regularly. Does it need replacing? Does it need a longer wash? Any help much appreciated.

We struggled with a few of ours, and I found a soak and then a longer wash helped. Sometimes I notice it happening when I have struggled for time and done quick washes, instead of a normal wash cycle in the washing machine.

I soaked it for half an hour completely drenched in vinegar and left it dripping over a bucket, did a normal wash at 40 degrees and it's still a bit hard. Next time I wash it I'll do the same but put it on a longer wash. Thanks for all your help!

Had the same with some of our first fleeces and it would always be in the heavier soiled parts like the corners. When we started using pee pads on top it stopped. Now we only have that in our oldest pee pads which have hardened and aren't soft anymore. I think it's down to the amount of use and soiling but I think we also washed those on 60 at the time, so maybe that high temperature is to be avoided? Since then, I've always washed ours at 30 or 40 with white vinegar (to help with softness and smells) and they're fine years in. I'm just getting rid of the old ones as we have so many newer ones.

Do you use a tumble dryer? Even tumbling for 10 minutes and then drying the rest of the way naturally can help a lot in keeping fleece and towel soft.

Back