Need Help With Choosing Correct Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGuinea88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking at buying a couple of guinea pigs soon and I am all confused at what cage to buy. I can see that c&c cages are the most popular and I will be looking in to ordering all of the equipment to build one soon but for the beginning stage will a 100 cm or 120 cm cage be ok to keep them in say for the first 3-4 months. I'm looking at the ferplast casita 120 cage from pets at home. Is it true as well that the cage shouldnt be kept on floor or will it be ok to have them low down.

Thankyou

Hello,
They are fine low down on the floor as long as you don't have cats or dogs, or any other animal that could possibly get to them, the recommended cage size for two piggies is 2x4 in c&c cages or 1square meter, I have just looked at the ferplast casita cage and it is too small for your pigs. Also I would look if there is any guinea pigs up for adoption in your local area too. A good place to get c&c grids from is www.grendle.co.uk as its nice and cheap.

Hello,
They are fine low down on the floor as long as you don't have cats or dogs, or any other animal that could possibly get to them, the recommended cage size for two piggies is 2x4 in c&c cages or 1square meter, I have just looked at the ferplast casita cage and it is too small for your pigs. Also I would look if there is any guinea pigs up for adoption in your local area too. A good place to get c&c grids from is www..co.uk as its nice and cheap.
ok thankyou so you don't think it would be ideal to get that cage for the first 3 - 4 months as they will be 8 weeks old when I get them. Plus I didn't get the web address you left for the c and c cages.

Hi everyone I am looking at buying a couple of guinea pigs soon and I am all confused at what cage to buy. I can see that c&c cages are the most popular and I will be looking in to ordering all of the equipment to build one soon but for the beginning stage will a 100 cm or 120 cm cage be ok to keep them in say for the first 3-4 months. I'm looking at the ferplast casita 120 cage from pets at home. Is it true as well that the cage shouldnt be kept on floor or will it be ok to have them low down.

Thankyou

Unless you have got small children, dogs or cats, a C&C cage gives you the most space and flexibility as you can always build upwards or around a corner. You can have cages on the floor or on a table. I use a cheap Ikea linnmon 75x150 cm table for my upper story C&C cages. Access and storage can be easier on an elevated cage, but it is mainly personal preference.

Pets@home cages are generally overpriced. You may find that zooplus have better deals for traditional cages, especially at the moment. The ferplast is the better quality, but a skyline maxi is fine as a spare/temporary cage.
Ferplast Rabbit & Guinea Pig Cage 120 | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!

C&C cages are available here:
www.guineapigcages.co.uk
www.cavycages.co.uk

Please consider rehoming from one of our recommended rescues. That way, you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary, as you will only rehome guinea pigs that are guaranteed healthy, properly sexed and not pregnant, and carefully character matched - and you have the support of the rescue during the settling in period and the whole life of their piggies. They will also take care that they only rehome suitable guinea pigs into a new owner/family home.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and doable where you are most effectively. click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Unless you have got small children, dogs or cats, a C&C cage gives you the most space and flexibility as you can always build upwards or around a corner. You can have cages on the floor or on a table. I use a cheap Ikea linnmon 75x150 cm table for my upper story C&C cages. Access and storage can be easier on an elevated cage, but it is mainly personal preference.

Pets@home cages are generally overpriced. You may find that zooplus have better deals for traditional cages, especially at the moment. The ferplast is the better quality, but a skyline maxi is fine as a spare/temporary cage.
Ferplast Rabbit & Guinea Pig Cage 120 | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!

C&C cages are available here:
www.guineapigcages.co.uk
www.cavycages.co.uk

Please consider rehoming from one of our recommended rescues. That way, you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary, as you will only rehome guinea pigs that are guaranteed healthy, properly sexed and not pregnant, and carefully character matched - and you have the support of the rescue during the settling in period and the whole life of their piggies. They will also take care that they only rehome suitable guinea pigs into a new owner/family home.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and doable where you are most effectively. click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.
Ok changes location thankyou and will look into the rescue. I suppose of gonna wait for a cage to be delivered might as well order the equipment for a c and c cage and build one.

Ok changes location thankyou and will look into the rescue. I suppose of gonna wait for a cage to be delivered might as well order the equipment for a c and c cage and build one.

It is good that you are doing your research beforehand.
You may find these information threads here helpful in preparing for your guinea pigs: Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

Best of luck! Have a look through our members gallery (from the back end) for inspiration. You are welcome to ask any questions you may have along the way.

w w w . g r e n d l e . c o . u k is the website type it in without spaces i don't know why it won't let me type it normally x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back