Need help with bonding - Is it failed?

GrassyPiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Two days ago, we trialed a guinea pig at the breeders to see if Sparki, our recently bereaved boar, would get along with him. They stayed together for ~40 minutes, and besides some humping (by both guinea pigs), really got along and were eating side by side. Elliot, the new guinea pig is 1yr, 2 months. It was definitely a risk getting a "teen" guinea pig, but they seemed to get on so well that it didn't seem to matter. Yesterday they were great, and Sparki was way happier and more lively than he has been while by himself - He was popcorning for the first time in a while. However today Elliot has become increasingly dominant, with lots of rumbstrutting, teeth chattering, humping and boxing Sparki into corners and hidies. Sparki is a very tolerant guinea pig, but finally had enough and the two began nipping, and rearing. I then separated them as I was concerned of a fight happening overnight. However, both Sparki and Elliot seem sad and try get through the cage bars to each other (bars are too small for anyone's head to get stuck). I'm so torn, because I want Sparki to be happy, and feel cruel for taking away his friend, but then again don't want a fight to break out, especially since Sparki can barely leave his hide without getting humped or harassed. I've never had a dominant guinea pig like this before and so really don't know how to proceed. The breeders are very responsible and will take back any guinea pig that does not get along. The problem is, the next likely chance to get guinea pig will be in September, and I don't want Sparki to wait that long. Am I wrong for separating them? What should I do? Thank you in advance.

This doesn’t sound good I’m afraid. Relentless humping and Sparki fighting back does sound like bullying and a failed bonding.
Their behaviour between the bars does not necessadily mean they are looking to each other and want to be together - it can be because they do not like each other and are marking their territories.

Has Elliot ever been used for breeding? If so, then a boar who has been with sows does not usually take kindly to being put back into a boar bond. It is seem as a demotion in status and can be an issue and cause a bond to fail.

Thank you for replying so quickly! I will keep them seperated then. Sparki has perked up and is happily chattering now, which gives me comfort. Elliot has not been used for breeding (from what I was told), he was a failed show guinea pig his breeders only decided to part with as they are reducing numbers. Is waiting until September a bad idea? There are no guinea pigs available (Elliot was a lucky find) until the September show.

Whether you can wait depends on how Sparki is doing. You can only do what you can do if there are no rescue centres around.
What will happen to Elliot? Can you keep them side by side?

I would like to keep Elliot, however, we don't have the room for two 2X3 c&c cages next to each other, let alone a more adequite 2X4. This is something I should have anticipated, and I feel terribly guilty about considering giving Elliot back to the breeders, but I don't think I can provide him with the home he needs, and I don't want to keep him half heartedly when there is a better home for him and a more suited buddy for Sparki. This is what is so difficult for me, because I don't want to give up on him. Could they get on in the future, or a failed bonding always going to fail?

If two piggies are not compatible, then they are not likely to ever change their mind I’m afraid

Okay, that is unfortunate, but thank you for your help. I will do my best to keep both guinea pigs happy until a solution is found.

Back