• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

NEED HELP PLEASE!

Guineababymomma

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I dont know what to do! My sweet baby has these spots on him and theyre getting worse! I cant afford a vet, I need some home remedy help, please.20181223_181357.webp20181223_181316.webp

I'm sorry your piggy is suffering this way. I can't diagnose the problem unfortunately, but you really need to get him to a vet as only they can prescribe treatment for him. Piggies can go downhill very fast when they are ill, so please see if someone can assist you in getting him seen soon.

I'm sorry your piggy is suffering this way. I can't diagnose the problem unfortunately, but you really need to get him to a vet as only they can prescribe treatment for him. Piggies can go downhill very fast when they are ill, so please see if someone can assist you in getting him seen soon.
Do you know any treatmeant for ringworm

I've never had to treat it but it might not be ringworm, it could be various things. That's why it's so important to see a vet - you don't want to be trying anything until you know what the problem is.

You definitely need to see a vet, it could be ring worm but could also be so many other things. Does your piggie have a cage mate? If so I'd separate them till you know what's going on/ have treated this one so your other piggie doenst get it too

You definitely need to see a vet, it could be ring worm but could also be so many other things. Does your piggie have a cage mate? If so I'd separate them till you know what's going on/ have treated this one so your other piggie doenst get it too
No cage mates

I've never had to treat it but it might not be ringworm, it could be various things. That's why it's so important to see a vet - you don't want to be trying anything until you know what the problem is.
I cannot afford a vet. Thats why i need home remedies

There are many skin conditions a guinea pig can have so you don't want to self diagnose a problem and accidentally make it worse or just waste time treating the wrong illness. As someone said before guinea pigs can go downhill very fast so a vet is your best option. Vet bills can be very high but maybe you can borrow money from a family member or get a payment plan. There arent many homemade remedies for guinea pigs nor ones that actually work. Something I would like to suggest for future vet trips is save 1 dollar a day or 5 dollars a week and then maybe next time your piggy is sick you have some money saved up for a vet trip. Another thing I would like to suggest is getting your piggy a cage mate. A cage mate is necessary for a guinea pig to thrive and human attention isnt the same as having a same species friend to run and play with.

I hope you piggy gets better xx

Hi, unfortunately it is impossible for us to attempt to diagnose from a picture. It could be fungal, it could be mites, it could be an infected grease gland, it could be a burst cyst or abscess. Each one needs a different vetinary treatment. Piggies are not pets that you can just treat with shop brought products.

As the owner you have a duty to provide the appropriate care for your piggy and in this case they need to see a vet. Please note that the forum rules state:
f) Make sure that in posts relating to animals that may be ill or suffering it is made clear that it is the responsibility of the owner to seek veterinary advice. At no point should any member discourage a visit to the vet if the animal may be suffering.
So you will not find responses that give you home remedies or that do not encourage you to visit the vet

I cannot afford a vet. Thats why i need home remedies[/
I cannot afford a vet. Thats why i need home remedies

I understand not being able to afford a vet but it really is worth seeing if anyone arround you is willing to help, since guinea pigs can become very ill very quick, this could be something like ring worm with a relitivly easy treatment or it could be something far worse and only a vet can tell you this. I noticed a little bold patch on one of my piggies a few months ago, given it wasnt red like that so I can't say if it's the same thing, just similar and it turned out to just be mites with a very simple one spot on treatment from the vets and ended up costing only £30, I appreciate that can sound like a lot but in the best interest of your pet I would highly suggest trying to find some money and getting him to a vet

Your poor piggy is suffering please take him to a vet. If you are in the UK you can go to the PDSA who provide free veterinary care for those that cannot afford to pay. If you are outside the UK maybe a family member or friend would be willing to help you pay for a vet visit.

Your piggy is suffering, and veterinary advice really is needed, so you can get appropriate treatment. Payment plans are often available from vets, there's veterinary charities like the pdsa who may be able to help. Local rescues may offer help. Just please try! When you get a pet, it is part of the ongoing and lifetime costs that you are able to provide your animal with veterinary assistance when and if it's every needed. Unfortunately this time is now. From your posts, I am making the assumption you are younger (sorry if I am wrong), your gaurdians have the responsibility to financially help you with funds to get your animal to the vets. Please just get help!

I’m afraid the only thing we can advise you of on this forum is that you need to take this piggy to see a vet. We cannot and will not recommend home remedies. Only a qualified vet can diagnose a condition and then only after physical examination (not photos) and only a vet can prescribe the appropriate treatment at the appropriate dose.
What the photos you have put on her show is that your piggy is suffering. You really do need to get that seen to by a vet.

Poor piggy, that must be sore!
I can only add to what others have said - your piggy needs to see a vet ASAP. It’s your responsibility as an owner to provide veterinary treatment if your pet is poorly (unless you are under 18, then it is your parents’ responsibility).
I know it is hard if you are struggling for money but have you tried phoning the vet and asking about a payment plan? No good vet would let an animal suffer because of the cost of treatment. Or ask g to borrow money? Try the PDSA? This isn’t going to get better on its own.
I don’t want to sound harsh but this pig needs to see a vet somehow.
Good luck!

Back