Need help, new to this

Hadi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I'm currently in the process of purchasing everything to be ready to adopt guinea pigs.

I have purchased a c and c cage that comes with a polyester vet bed as bedding.

The product advises to use a layer of newspaper under the vet bed and it says that the guinea pigs can go straight onto the vet bed.
Is this true? Or do i need another layer of some sort of bedding on top of the polyester?

I'm relatively new to the world of reusable bedding but this is my experience so far :)

Assuming we are using the same bedding, the Vetbed I use doesn't need anything on the top. It looks really comfortable on their feet!

I wouldn't use just newspaper underneath though - Vetbed is great at letting moisture through, which is great on the way down but does mean it can come back up if what's underneath is saturated. I've opted for reusable puppy pads which are changed every couple of days and this seems to work quite well :)

Sorry, tried to edit but ran out of time!

I just spotted that you're planning on using your garage. I'm sure someone with specific experience can advise you better on garage piggies, but I am aware that fabric bedding is not recommended for outdoor pigs as it can take on moisture from the air and become cold and damp - not something you want to sleep on! I'm assuming this space is well insulated and not damp, though?

@poggle thanks for the reply, the puppy pads sounds like an awesome idea.
The garage is well insulated and not damp (i think) lol, i guess i’ll keep an eye and see if the vetbed is getting damp for no reason, it shouldn't though.

If it’s the same thing as here, then vetbed needs an absorbent layer underneath it - puppy pads etc - but it doesn’t need anything on top of it. It’s nice bedding. I used to use it but not so much now. As it’s bulky it had to be cut into lots of little pieces because my washing machine did not like it one bit.

Keeping them in the garage - what is the garage like, insulated? Heated etc?
Outdoor piggies need different care and bedding to indoor piggies but we have a colder, damp climate and fabric bedding for outside piggies won’t dry properly in the UK

If it’s the same thing as here, then vetbed needs an absorbent layer underneath it - puppy pads etc - but it doesn’t need anything on top of it. It’s nice bedding. I used to use it but not so much now. As it’s bulky it had to be cut into lots of little pieces because my washing machine did not like it one bit.

Keeping them in the garage - what is the garage like, insulated? Heated etc?
Outdoor piggies need different care and bedding to indoor piggies but we have a colder, damp climate and fabric bedding for outside piggies won’t dry properly in the UK
The garage is insulated, not heated.
We have a much dryer climate here i think, i will definitely keep an eye on the bedding to see if theres any dampness issues however i dont think there will be.

it's just an idea, but I have a room thermometer that can also keep track of humidity. I don't know how accurate it actually is because I only ever need the temp numbers but it wasn't expensive and it might be worth picking up something like it and leaving it in the garage overnight. If it can be reset, even better - it'll allow you to track the temp and how damp/dry it is in there.

it's just an idea, but I have a room thermometer that can also keep track of humidity. I don't know how accurate it actually is because I only ever need the temp numbers but it wasn't expensive and it might be worth picking up something like it and leaving it in the garage overnight. If it can be reset, even better - it'll allow you to track the temp and how damp/dry it is in there.
Sounds like a good idea, i’ll have a look thanks

Sounds like a good idea, i’ll have a look thanks

This is the one I have, although it's no longer available and obviously I'm in a different country, but I apparently bought it in 2017, it's still going and I'm not even sure I've swapped the battery out even once. Just as an example, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

I'm relatively new to the world of reusable bedding but this is my experience so far :)

Assuming we are using the same bedding, the Vetbed I use doesn't need anything on the top. It looks really comfortable on their feet!

I wouldn't use just newspaper underneath though - Vetbed is great at letting moisture through, which is great on the way down but does mean it can come back up if what's underneath is saturated. I've opted for reusable puppy pads which are changed every couple of days and this seems to work quite well :)

hi sorry to jump on the post but what vet bed do you use? you can get green backing or non slip and i didn’t know if there was much of a difference!

hi sorry to jump on the post but what vet bed do you use? you can get green backing or non slip and i didn’t know if there was much of a difference!

Mine just has the green back, can't say I've found it moves around all that much once it's on the pads! Might be different for your ramp but I'm sure the velcro will sort it out 🙂

Back