Need Help! How do I get my 3 guinea pigs to like each other again! :(

CutieTea36

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 3 little piggies, nugget (4 Male), coconut (1 Male) and peanut (6 months Male).

There was an incident a few months ago when coconut got his ear bit and my family think that peanut may have been the culprit so now he is isolated from the other two. Peanut has never shown any aggressive behaviour or anything like that, yes he is a baby and yes he gets excited a lot especially when he gets to hang out with his brothers so I believe that coconut must have provoked peanut in some way and peanut was only defending himself. It was very very late at night so it also might have been nugget.

For context we have their “day cages” which is a large wire cage with a ramp and their “night cages” which are smaller and made of a wood like material. They are both mine and my sisters, in the morning I move them all into their day cage and at night my sister is meant to move them to the night cages. On the night of the incident it was about 11:30pm and they had not been moved to their night cages. Normally they have a pretty good idea of what time they go into the different cages. We weren’t planning on getting another guinea pig after coconut and the night cages only have 2 sections so coconut and nugget share one and peanut is in the other which is why we believe it is probably less likely it was nugget.

We have had another guinea pig, peppa but unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and so we got coconut so nugget wouldn’t be so lonely. Peppa was 8 when he passed on. There were never any incidents when it was just Peppa and Nugget, which is why we think it was most likely peanut.

Prior to the incident the three of them got on really well. Peanut is a baby and was slowly starting to understand his brothers and that nugget is in charge.

Recently my mum and I have been trying to get nugget and peanut to get along and it has been working really well. The other day we put both nugget and peanut in a neutral area inside away from coconut. There was a guinea pig plastic igloo and a larger cardboard box so that if the two of them wanted to be alone and separated they could be.

This experiment went amazingly! Neither peanut or nugget were aggressive at all! At the start they stayed in the different hideaways but then peanut went out into the more common space and nugget went and followed him and they were talking heaps and running around heaps. Nugget let peanut inside the cardboard box with him at the same time and they were cuddling! It went really really well. This went on for about an hour.

Currently we have two wire cages, peanut is still isolated in one and coconut and nugget are together in the other one but since the experiment nugget and peanut have been talking heaps through the wires, they have been trying to get to each other chewing at the wires while they talk. After the experiment it seems that coconut has become a lot more comfortable with peanut and sometimes talks to him through the wire cages too although we still haven’t tried peanut and coconut together by themselves just yet. I suspect nugget went and told coconut that peanut is actually a good boy which is why coconut has become more comfortable around him.

I am tempted to try to modify the two cages so that they can be connected giving the three of them more space and to stop nugget and peanut from injuring their teeth by constantly biting the wires. I will do some more experiments beforehand though.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. All advice is welcome and appreciated!

:wel:

The issue here is that keeping three boars together does not work long term. They find is very difficult to form a hierarchy and most boar trios fail, and with a teenager (peanut) in the mix things may even get worse.
Boars need to be kept in pairs only.

As you have three piggies, then you would do much better to keep the two who get on best living together in one cage and keep the other piggy single in a separate cage.
Do not let him have any play time (the experiments you mention are not a good idea) with the other pair. Putting piggies together and separating them repeatedly when they cannot share a cage is very stressful for them and has the potential to cause fights between all the piggies (running the risk of you ending up with three single piggies all needing to be kept apart).
Now an injury has occurred, the chances of a fight breaking out again are high. We do not recommend allowing them to be together after an injury has occurred.

Should you wish to continue to attempt a boar trio, you just make sure the space they have is huge and beyond normal cage sizing - a cage for a boar trio needs to be at least 300x100cm to provide them with enough territory each. It won’t make them get on or be able to form a functioning hierarchy but more space means they can more further apart. You would have to keep a very close eye on them because it sadly is not likely to work long term.

The guides below explain further

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

The bond of my guinea pigs got ruined for trying a trio... I think u should stick to one being separated, if u keep trying then the bond of the 3 will get ruined and then your left with cleaning 4 different cages 😭😭

The problem here is that boar trios are very unlikely to be successful. It could lead to a fight where none of the three will tolerate each other anymore. You are better off with a stable pair an interaction through the bars for the third. If you are going to attempt a trio you are going to need a REALLY big cage, and you may still end up with a huge cage that has a divider between one pig and the other two. Guinea pigs will be okay with interaction through the bars as well if they can't all three live together.

Also, am I right in thinking that the night cages have all the pigs separated? If pigs are living together they need to be together all the time. They don't sleep at night any more than during the day, they are active all night, and having half their lives together and half separate will cause drama between them, as they have to sort out their hierarchy every time they're put back together. Also, being separated is very stressful for them. So I think you might need to rethink that arrangement.

So sorry, 3 boars rarely work, keep a pair and one side by side so he gets interacfion

Back