New Born Pup
Reaction score
So is my guinea pig eating fresh veggies, hay, and pellet
but they don't gain weight.
PS they are energetic guinea pig they ran around and do popcorn
but IDK why they don't gain
should i change my feeding cause
I feed them like x1 a day 1/8 cap per guinea pig
and unlimited hay any tips to get them gain ?
like Pea flakes or Oat the normal one

How old are they?
How much do they weigh?
Have you checked their heft?

Young piggies will gain weight in their own time on a good hay based diet. You should never try to make them gain weight by feeding treats or oats if there is no need to do so.

The diet is unlimited hay, one cup of vegetables per piggy per day and one tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day.

Also to consider that weight ie the number on the scales is not indicative of what is healthy for them. You need to check their heft.

Please do see the guides below for further information

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

How old are they?
How much do they weigh?
Have you checked their heft?

Young piggies will gain weight in their own time on a good hay based diet. You should never try to make them gain weight by feeding treats or oats if there is no need to do so.

The diet is unlimited hay, one cup of vegetables per piggy per day and one tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day.

Also to consider that weight ie the number on the scales is not indicative of what is healthy for them. You need to check their heft.

Please do see the guides below for further information

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
my 2 guinea pig 5 months and 1 guinea pig is 6 months
2 guinea pig around 350g to 400g and 1 guinea pig is 400g to 450g

With a good hay based diet they should be gaining some weight each week but their weight gain does slow down as they get older. (You should weigh them every week).

What were their weights last week?
You really need the exact number for example 427g rather than a range like you have quoted 400-450g. As a range isn’t helpful.

Are you providing large piles of hay all the time?

You should not and there should be no need for you to give anything to force them to gain weight given they are young.

Back