Need help/advice

moosepistachiooreo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two guinea pigs right now, they are both teenagers and they do not get along and lunge at each other when they are put together. they are in a separated cage at the moment. I am debating on getting more guinea pigs soon, if I put them all together (including the two that don't get along), will those two still continuously fight. I really just want them to have cage mates they can actually be around, I was thinking maybe they could just tolerate each other? Let me know please!

if there are actual bites that are leaving wounds then separating is the best, but maybe this could be dominance behavior? But then again you said they are lunging at each other? If that is the case they are both not backing down and that can lead to actual bites. But I am new to guinea pigs myself, there are tons of more knowledgeable people on this forum that will have tons of advice for you, it’s just that this is a UK based forum so different time zones, they will be around soon. Hope you get some help soon ☺️

Welcome to the forum!

Your guinea pigs are probably boars?
Unfortunately if piggies don't get along, a bigger group won't help much. It can do a bit of good with females, but not with boars.

In Austria (where I live) I would give the advice to neuter both boys and get them a girl each, but I know that it can be harder to find a good vet to neuter boys in the US.

I'm sure that there will be members around soon who have got more experience with boars.

I have had success in rebonding boars
Its not generally recommend but if your like me and don't have alot of options then its worth a shot

Your options could be to
Wait until there a little older and attempt a rebond
Get them each another friend of same gender
Neuter them both and get them each another friend
or surrender one to a rescue and adopt a new friend for the other

H!
I commented on your earlier post, our boys don’t get along, and live happily as neighbours, that is another option for you. There are information guides on the forum, I just don’t know how to link them.
I hope you find the right solution for you and your Guinea pigs.

The advice is the same as you have been given on your other threads.

You cannot put these two boars back together as they will still fight.
If you try to put four boars together, the situation will be worse. Four boars together is incredibly unstable and has pretty much 100% failure rate. There can only ever be one dominant piggy in a pair or group (although we do not recommend attempting boar groups *see below). You know these two piggies you have now are both dominant, so they would still fight. If you get another pair then one of those is going to be dominant and then you’ve got three or even four dominant boars together, so even more risk of fights. You run the risk of ending up with either one functioning pair and the two piggies you have now still being single, or at worst, all four would fight and then youve got four single piggies.

*Boar groups are very difficult to get to work unless there is a very large number of them in an exceptionally large space (free roam not caged). To attempt a bachelor boar herd you need around 10 boars (certainly no less than 8) and they would have to have free roam of at least a 10 square metre space. You would still need the ability to section them off if fights occur. You would then probably end up with a few pairs and still some single piggies.

You either need to:

- leave them living as neighbours, which is perfectly fine. Their ability to interact and have companionship through the bars is enough with the positive of not having to share territory.

- Get them each a new character compatible male friend ideally via dating so you know they are definitely going to get on. A rescue centre can help ensure compatibility with their new friend and that each of their new cagemates is submissive.
If you just go out and buy another piggy for each, then you run the risk of another incompatibility, those piggies also not getting on and then having more single piggies.
Bonding boars is not difficult as such but bonding teenage boars can be slightly trickier due to the fact rhry are right at the height of their hormones.

- neuter them both. Wait six weeks so they both become infertile and then bond each of them with their own sow. Do not try to put four piggies of this combination together. Two boars and two sows (particularly as the two boars have already had a fight) would result in immediate fights.
Neutering and bonding teenage boars with sows can often be the safest option given a neutered boar/sow bond tend to be more stable.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back