Need Advice Please.

Antonio R.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi:

I'm having a somewhat annoying problem with my piggies.

I bought the tray below to use it as a hay tray, but my piggies love to use it as their restroom and with or without hay, they'll poo and pee on it.

IMG_20170713_161849353.webp

IMG_20170713_162304827.webp

What should I do? Just leave it there without any hay and accept that my piggies won this one? Keep putting the hay there and show them who's the boss? Lol, I really don't know what to do. Is it even a big problem if they eat and poo and pee in the same place?

Win! Litter trained pigs - I wish mine would poo and wee in the trays I provide them !
If the hay is soiled they won't eat it, but they're quite happy to eat around it!

Piggies will eat where they poo I'm afraid! Have you got a hay bag/rack or something for fresh hay? If it's on the floor it will be peed on, pooped on and slept on! :))

Mine pee a lot in their hay trays but it's what I wanted. It's more of a toilet area really that I just top with hay. They like to sleep there as well so I use Aubiose (to draw the moisture away from the surface) then top with hay. I have hay racks over the trays so the pigs always have fresh hay to eat. They still nibble around the hay they are sleeping and toileting on!

they do what they like with the furniture you give them... :raz: they sleep, eat and poo wherever they want to...
and of course they stop eating the wasted food...
100_6877.webp

but I see that your piggies actually eat the hay and then they use it as a toilet; you could put new hay on the floor or a new hay mixed with the old one, removing only the wet hay. Of course don't think that all the hay you put into the cage will be used as a food; part of the hay ends up as a litter. I made a lot of changes into the cage, especially for the hay. I use two cutlery drainers specifically cut in a safe way and I put some hay for playing under these drainers. The piggies eat the hay from the floor and from the drawners which I find almost empty in the morning:

100_6648.webp

I tried poo training a while ago and had some sucsess scooping up hanfulls of wee and poop and placing it repeatedly in the place l whaned them poop in!
It took a while, but l found that once one started, others would follow suit very quickly

I use a grow bag, a 32 litre under bed storage box, a small plastic dog bed and a cat litter tray for hay trays. My two sows do most of their wees in the hay trays which is soaked up by the hemp based bedding lining them.

Hay bags would be good as previously suggested and some more hay trays. Good luck. Your guinea pigs are soooo cute.

Back