Need advice on Female Guinea pigs asserting dominance

jenna_r_9

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum and looking for advice, I have two female guinea pigs who are 7 months old. Only recently have they started not getting along, they seem to be trying to assert doninance and are chasing each other and doing the walk with their bums going side to side. Does anyone have any advice? I have looked online and ruled out the main things, their cage is big enough, they have loads of enrichment every day they go out their cage for cuddles, into their run and outside in their run. They have two beds to hide in so they have their own space. We are getting worried now and want to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later.
Thankyou :) x

:wel:
Chasing and rumbling (the walking with their bottoms going side to side) is very normal for teenage piggies and sows in season. There is nothing you can do about it, it’s normal dominance behaviours and something they will go through. It doesn’t mean they aren’t getting on though.

It only becomes a problem if they actually fight, or bullying occurs (a sustained behaviour of constant chasing, not letting the other piggy rest, eat and consequently one piggy starts to lose weight and become withdrawn), otherwise its important to leave them to it while it remains within the realms of normal dominance

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Thankyou for getting in touch I really appreciate it, will it pass eventually? Just worried it might lead to some proper fights don’t want either getting hurt. Would you advise giving them some more time apart each day? they have their cuddles separately but thats it, or shall we just keep an eye on them?
Thanks again :)

Thankyou for getting in touch I really appreciate it, will it pass eventually? Just worried it might lead to some proper fights don’t want either getting hurt. Would you advise giving them some more time apart each day? they have their cuddles separately but thats it, or shall we just keep an eye on them?
Thanks again :)

Its normal behaviour so won’t necessarily pass. They will go through periods of dominance as part of normal behaviours, when one is in season for example (which happens every two weeks throughout their entire lives). They won’t hurt and won’t lead to fights if they like each other, are compatible and want to be together.
Please don’t give them time apart - there is no need to do so for normal dominance. Also, be aware that if you repeatedly them then you will 1) cause more dominance when they go back together as they will need to reestablish their relationship; 2) cause them a lot of stress; and 3) repeated separations has the potential to ruin a relationship. They should always be kept together, even for cuddle time.

Please do read the green links I added in above as they explain behaviours in more detail than we can repeat in every post

Thankyou so much, myself and my partner tend to have one each sat next to each other, I really appreciate the advice and will definitely give them links a read, they do still play together and snuggle up so I'm hoping it is just a case of a bit of normal dominance behaviour. Thankyou again :)

Back