Need Advice - First Time Boarding Guinea Pigs

MichelleM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm going away for the weekend for Christmas, and my vet's office will be boarding Ganon and Dibbler from Saturday until we pick them up Tuesday morning. I've never had my pigs stay away from home since we got them last January, and I'm very anxious about leaving them for a few days.

What experiences have you all had boarding your pigs at the vet? I'm worried about them getting depressed or anxious away from their home and not eating/drinking.

The receptionist said I should bring their food and toys. I planned on bringing fleece with their scent on it so it's not totally unfamiliar. Would it help my pigs to leave them with something with my scent on it?

How can I calm my nerves over leaving them somewhere unfamiliar to them for a few days? I love them very much and I'm worried of them feeling scared or abandoned by me.

Thank you in advance!

very nerve wracking, never boarded at vet but have boarded privately.

Take all food, maybe their houses and the hay they like too... Piggies are very hardy. Our piggies have always been fine boarding and really didn't care once in new cage. I think the fleece is a great idea.

I am sure that they will receive the absolute best care possible and be totally fine.
Taking all of their usual food and toys is a great idea.
You could also make a small card to put on the front of their cage with their names and a couple of notes to help the staff feel that they know a bit more about their personalities?

I leave my lot all the time (which sounds awful when I put it like that) but we do travel a lot, and often for 2 - 3 weeks at a time.
Our piggies are well cared for in our absence, and have always been fine and settled right back into our regular routine as soon as we return.

I am sure that they will receive the absolute best care possible and be totally fine.
Taking all of their usual food and toys is a great idea.
You could also make a small card to put on the front of their cage with their names and a couple of notes to help the staff feel that they know a bit more about their personalities?

I leave my lot all the time (which sounds awful when I put it like that) but we do travel a lot, and often for 2 - 3 weeks at a time.
Our piggies are well cared for in our absence, and have always been fine and settled right back into our regular routine as soon as we return.
Yes , I am sure Eddi is always sad to loose out on so many blueberries when you get back. What with him also managing to give the forlorn “she never feeds me” act to the pet sitters :D

Just an update, Dibbler and Ganon are back from the vet and they were perfectly fine over the weekend! Thank you to everyone for your advice/peace of mind! :)

Dibbler I think was mad at me, as he growled a little when he was back in his carrier from the vet. I think I made up for it, thought, when he got home and got his Christmas present of his first Cuddle-E-Cup. :)

He's never had one before, but there was zero hesitation in deciding what it was for:
Don't worry, Ganon got one too! I threw some fleece over both of the cups and found Ganon snuggled up hiding in his later.

Glad they were fine when you got back, I think I'd be the same regarding worrying. When you think of it, what can go wrong at a vets!

Back